Why Did You Get Married?

Right reasons for getting married
Why did you get married?
Honestly…
Why did you get married?

I wasn’t a Christian when I got married, but I’ve talked to lots of folks who were, and I think that at least part of the reason they got married was why I got married:

They thought that the person they were marrying would make them happy.

I know many of you prayed and sought God before marrying, but underlying it all was the feeling that this man or woman would make you happy.

But is this God's reason for marriage?
“I read a book on marriage that advises we should stop looking to marriage as a place in which to fulfill our romantic and ego needs and look on it instead as God’s great tool for character formation. Whenever I can keep that principle in mind—admittedly, about 5 percent of the time—my outlook changes dramatically. Losing an argument becomes an opportunity to learn humility; sexual frustration becomes a chance to exercise patience and hope.”                                                Philip Yancy* 

What if we looked at our marriages as a tool for character formation? What if we focused on our spouse's happiness more than our own?

That doesn’t mean that we give up our hope for happiness. But perhaps we’d realize that happiness is more dependent upon our character than on our spouse.

"seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, 
and all these things will be given to you as well"
Matthew 6:33

*Rumours, page 68

I'd love to have you check out my home page that features 1-Minute devotions. And why not sign up for a free subscription? Bless you! Gail  

12 comments:

  1. This is great! Marriage really is a character builder AND I know for me personally, it has matured me and helped me to grow spiritually! Thanks for linking this up with Mommy Moments:) You are a blessing!

    http://the-life-of-faith.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Focusing more your spouse than yourself is so very hard to do sometimes. Most people are overly concerned with self. It is so very rewarding though when I am able to help my husband though, especially when he is stressed. Great post. I visited from the Mommy Moments hop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lOVE YOUR BLOG SO MUCH

    yes i shouted bc i really do
    Hope we can be friends
    http://ramblingmomma03.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful, and much needed. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is wonderful advise. I totally agree with you 100%. It is not easy to put someone elses needs ahead of our own that often, but in marriage it makes a world of difference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful advice! Found you through wlw.org!
    We could all do with a marriage that is more and more centred on the scriptures! Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love that last line... So true! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I married...because this man prayed for me to be his wife for 3 1/2 years. God finally did a miracle in my heart. I completely believe..."She who finds a husband finds a good thing!" ...even though I know the scripture says the opposite.

    ReplyDelete
  9. so true..in everything there is a lesson to learn and take home with us....!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree 100%. Only you can control your emotions and attitude. There are plenty of people with a lot more pain and suffering than I will ever know. However, it is easier said than done. Thanks for sharing at Mom's Library!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Character formation. I really must bear this in mind. Thank you for this very important post. I needed to read it today. Thank you for linking up!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...