Should We Keep Our Mouths Shut if "The Shack" is Doing Some Good?

The Shack,
Recently, on one of my posts about The Shack, a woman shared how The Shack was the first step in her conversion. The book touched her heart and brought her to a Biblical faith.

I believe her.

I believe others have also been blessed by The Shack.

Perhaps that's why many Christians get angry when someone points out the errors in The Shack

Within one week of writing my articles exposing errors in The Shack, I was called a sheep-in-wolf’s-clothing, a Pharisee, a nit-picker, small-minded, a hindrance to the Gospel, evil, self-righteous, and a hate-monger. 

And these comments all came from professing Christians.

The Shack has very loyal supporters.

What do you think?

If a book makes some good Biblical points, should we keep our mouths shut about it's Biblical errors?

I’ve read some of the 12,000+ reviews of The Shack on Amazon. Most of the reviewers explain that the book redefined their view of God. 

Some readers have been affected in positive ways, but how many have been deceived about God's character? The Shack god says things in direct contradiction to Scripture (see the links below)

Should Christians be concerned when their Lord and Savior is misrepresented?  

Should we keep quiet about the errors in a book because it has done some good?

Is it small-minded, self-righteous, and nit-picky to be concerned about Biblical errors in a book that is influencing millions? 

If you want to study this question in light of Scripture, I recommend these :Matthew 5:18; Matthew 24:35; Proverbs 30:5; Psalm 12:6). I also encourage you to read Contend for the Faith.

The Shack is a fictional book, but it isn't "just fiction" as so many people have argued. One need only read a handful of the Amazon reviews to see it is changing hearts and minds about the character and nature of God, and there's no denying it contains serious errors.

Please, Dear Christians, think this through. 

More articles on The Shack:




9 comments:

  1. What the Bible warns of this...
    Romans 16:17 ESV

    I appeal to you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and create obstacles contrary to the doctrine that you have been taught; avoid them.

    1 John 4:1 ESV

    Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world.

    2 Timothy 4:3 ESV votes

    For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions,

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Satan can't keep a person from the Truth, he'll certainly TWIST THE TRUTH so that people believe they have the Truth when they really don't. If THE WORLD loves it, that's a RED FLAG WARNING to Christians.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you to the author of the original love note for exposing the false gospel of The Shack. The Word of God as found in our holy Bible is sufficient to bring people to Christ and for salvation. Hearing the Word is how people are saved. Those folks who defend the shack over the Word of God are defending the world and friends of the world are enimies of God. James 4:4 The way you get closer to God is by being saved, and the message of the shack is not the true gospel and can save no one. To say you Got closer to God by reading this book but then attack anyone defending the word of God only proves The Shack is a dangerous book. Salvation is through Christ alone, and Jesus Is The Word of God. John 1:1 Thank you again for doing exactly what our Lord commands us to do, by exposing the false Christ and false God of The Shack. May the peace of Our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your encouragement and insights, Dawn.

      Delete
    2. Yes! Thank You DawnMarie and Gail.

      Delete
  4. Oh Gail, I can't thank you enough for taking a stand on this topic. Every time I see a promo of it coming to the theaters, I feel something negative rise up in me. I have read the book. Yes, it is interesting, but definitely not the God I know. I wonder how many caught the fact when he saw his little girl through the glass from the large room he was taken to, he was greeted by Mary. The other factor is many believed it to be a true story. At the end he tells us to read the last 6 pages of the book. I read it and it tells us clearly he and friend together came up with this story. How many people did take time to read the last 6 pages. Thank you Gail... God bless. JKH

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gail, I so appreciate the reviews I've read on the movie. I read the book and don't plan on seeing the movie . . . definitely agree with the need to be aware of the errors. I recently wrote a post about that mentions the fact that is fiction and a story about love and forgiveness. But I agree with the concern about people saying it helped to form their thoughts about God. My struggle with all of it has been the personal attacks either way. Thank you for talking about the movie. I am sorry you received attacks for sharing your review as I am sorry for the way people treated Tim Tebow for his positive review. My prayer is that we can start being able to talk about differing views without the need for full-on character attacks. God's blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Deb, there are good elements in the book. Sadly, I think many Christians don't know their Bibles well enough to discern the errors.

    And I'm sorry you've been attacked from the other end. We Christians are having a problem with anger - starting with politics and going from there. God wants us to be angry about some things, but I think we are getting angry about the wrong things and attacking our fellow believers.

    God bless you, Deb. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was disturbed about many aspects of The Shack. It doesn't represent Jesus I know, or give Him the glory He deserves, I think. And I didn't like the style. Thank you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...