What if I'm Only 1% Wrong and the Other Person Is 99% Wrong?

What if we're only 1% wrong and the other person is 99% wrong? Do you owe them an apology? What does the Bible teach? This 1-min. devotion explains.

Her coworker was always rude. One day she'd had enough and she blew up at him. Her anger was insignificant compared to his repeated rudeness, but she still asked his forgiveness.

There's nothing wrong with correcting people. In fact, we should correct them, especially if they are fellow-believers (Galatians 6:1). But we should do it graciously.

We can't use their sins to excuse ours. Even if we're only 1% wrong, and the other person is 99% wrong, we need to repent.

"Whoever conceals their sins does not prosper, but the one who confesses and renounces them finds mercy." Proverbs 28:13

I've had times in my life when I've apologized to someone for something insignificant compared to what they'd done to me. And I've had some of those people accept my apology without making one of their own.

But my apology wasn't based on their response. It was an act of love for my Lord. And, if I hadn't apologized, my Lord would have lovingly rebuked me.

"Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent." Jesus, Revelation 3:19

We cannot let ungodly people conform us to their character. Instead, we let God transform us to His character (Romans 12:1-2). 

 

What if we're only 1% wrong and the other person is 99% wrong? Do you owe them an apology? What does the Bible teach? This 1-min. devotion explains.

Bible Love Notes

1 comment: