Honest Scales & Bruised Berries

This 1-minute devotion from Wisdom for Life Devotional is a good reminder to stay honest, even in the little things.

Today I'm sharing a devotion from my book Wisdom for Life: 

About fifteen years ago, I bought strawberries at a fruit market in a foreign country. I looked for the stand with the most beautiful berries and asked for a kilo. 
 
When I got home, I discovered the berries were moldy and mashed, not the beautiful ones I’d seen on display. Some of the locals explained that I needed to beware of dishonest vendors who scoop from a barrel below the counter. I’m sure this vendor thought his dishonesty was no big deal, but the Lord disagrees. Proverbs tells us that we are better off poor than dishonest: “Better a little with righteousness than great income with injustice” (Prov. 16:8).

Psalms echoes this truth: “The little that the righteous person has is better than the abundance of many wicked people” (Ps. 37:16). A merchant may think it’s insignificant to put a finger on the scales, but it’s not insignificant to God: “Differing weights are detestable to the Lord, and dishonest scales are unfair” (Prov. 20:23).

It’s obvious that mankind has always had a problem with cheating and defrauding. And God is concerned about honesty, whether it’s a kilo of berries or a million-dollar purchase.

Jesus made this point in Luke 16:10: “Whoever is faithful in very little is also faithful in much, and whoever is unrighteous in very little is also unrighteous in much.”

Let’s carefully examine our hearts and repent of anything dishonest, no matter how small. 
For Further Thought
 
Proverbs 16:11 explains that we serve a God who is interested in all of the details: “Honest balances and scales are the Lord’s; all the weights in the bag are his concern.” What other passages in Scripture (besides those mentioned in this devotion) emphasize God’s interest in little things?
 
 

 
 
 

This 1-minute devotion from Wisdom for Life Devotional is a good reminder to stay honest, even in the little things.

 


BLN

No comments:

Post a Comment