God is Not Like Us

Modern man may not make idols of wood and stone, but that doesn't mean modern man isn't involved in idolatry.

Idolatry has always been popular. 

Uncivilized man sculpted gods from wood and stone. Now we sculpt gods in our minds - gods who are easier to understand and less offensive to our modern culture. 

These gods approve popular sins, worldly values and situational ethics. They never send anyone to Hell.

Like gods of wood and stone, they're limited by the knowledge, understanding, and perspective of the men who create them. 

Psalm 50:16-21 records God's response to people who customize truth and create gods in their own image:

“What right have you to recite my laws or take my covenant on your lips? You hate my instruction and cast my words behind you...you thought I was exactly like you.”

Our fallen human nature prefers gods of our own making. They're easier to understand and manipulate.

But they cannot save or give life.

It's a great comfort to serve the God who created us instead of a god whom we've created.
-----------
Check out the Be Prepared Series, 14 questions commonly asked about our Christian faith.


Modern man may not make idols of wood and stone, but that doesn't mean modern man isn't involved in idolatry. This 1-minute devotion explains.


3 comments:

  1. Gail, thank you for reminding me to ask for my Great God's protection every day against all the little gods that I meet everyday in this life! Some seem so subtle and small that they are sometimes hard to identify as false gods. We need our Lord and Savior's Holy Spirit within us to identify them and point them out to us and to remind us to steer clear of them!
    I feel so blessed to have a God who's ways are greater than mine and who's thoughts are higher than mine to guide me through the forest of manmade gods of this life, to eventually bring me home to His presence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isaiah 55:8 His ways and thoughts are much higher than ours. He is far more Loving and forgiving than vengeful man. The verse has been taken out of context to mean the opposite. The chapter is about His abundant mercy and love.

      Delete
    2. Hi Cathy,
      I'm not sure I understand your comment. Which verse do you think is taken out of context?

      Delete