Peter uses this imagery in 1 Peter 1:13-16, stressing the importance of preparing our minds for spiritual "action."
When runners train for a marathon, they:
- Eat foods that build their bodies.
- Run regularly, building their stamina and speed.
- Avoid situations causing injury.
- "Eat" God's truth to stimulate wholesome thinking and build spiritual muscles (2 Peter 3:1-2; Hebrews 12:1).
- Improve our prayer stamina (1 Peter 4:7).
- Be alert to Satan's attempts to cause spiritual injury (1 Peter 5:8).
Are you training for the race?