Friday

Is God Fun?

Is God fun? Wholesome Christian fun
Recently a reader asked if I thought God was "fun."

I explained that it depends on what we call "fun."

Pleasure is associated with many sinful activities. But Scripture says that type of "fun" is fleeting (Hebrews 11:25) and brings with it emotional, spiritual, and sometimes physical consequences.
    But God has infused our lives with fun things: 

    ✤ His creation offers beauty and pleasure in a variety of sights, sounds, tastes, and smells. 

    ✤ He gave us laughter ... creative talents... friendship... intimacy in marriage... giggling toddlers, sunsets... ocean waves, etc.

    ✤ We can see God's sense of humor in stories like Balaam's donkey (Numbers 22:28) or the idol Dagon (1 Samuel 5:1-5).
      ✤ Since Old Testament feasts and festivals involved relaxation, food and fellowship, I think it's safe to say that God loves a party.  

      ✤ But God goes one step further than fun and gives us joy, which isn't dependent on circumstances (Romans 15:13).

      I can see many ways God has added "fun" to my life. How about you? Do you think God is fun?
      (Proverbs 17:22)

      Image: Free digital photos 

      2 comments:

      1. I really believe that God is "fun" in the truest sense of the word. I am reminded that the joy of the Lord is my strength (Nehemiah 8:10)

        ReplyDelete

      Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
      Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...