“The real problem is not why some pious, humble, believing people suffer, but why some do not.” ― C.S. Lewis*
1. Slander ruins a man's career.
2. A pastor has chronic health problems.
3. An honest politician is the target of repeated assassination attempts.
4. Believers are tortured and killed for their faith.
"Why me?" is a common question when faced with difficulty.
But a more reasonable question might be "Why not me?"
The Bible record refutes the notion that our earthly lives will be just and easy:
1. Slander ruined Joseph's career and sent him to prison (Genesis 39:1-10).
2. Young pastor Timothy had chronic stomach problems (1 Timothy 5:23).
3. Corrupt King Saul repeatedly tried to assassinate David (1 Samuel 24:1-12).
5. Believers have always been persecuted (Hebrews 11).
God doesn't promise earthly ease and justice, but He promises to comfort us (2 Corinthians 1:3-5) and use bad things for our good if we focus on His purposes (Romans 8:28).
*from The Problem of Pain