Tuesday

Vanity At Every Age

inner beauty, Bible, Christ's image, 83-year-old gets breast implants, plastic surger for older people, seniors getting more plastic surgery
Photo: My grandma & me. My grandma impressed me with her faith.
Several years ago, Marie Kolstad, an 83-year-old great grandmother, had her breasts lifted and got implants. She said she plans to live long and wants her children to be proud of her appearance.

According to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, “Breast lifts, face-lifts, liposuction, and other cosmetic surgery procedures are increasingly common among seniors.” (CBS News source)

I wonder if Marie realizes that when her children, grandchildren and great grandchildren remember her, they won't care as much how she looked as how she lived--her values, her character, her example. 

Nothing’s wrong with wanting to be attractive, as long as we realize that physical beauty must fade, but inner qualities will magnify. 

Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised. Proverbs 31:30

Instead of seeking to impress people with our looks, let's seek to inspire them with our love for Christ. 
The photo in this devotion is not Kolstad. It's my grandma who impressed me with her faith and left a legacy of Christian love.
copyright Gail Burton Purath, 2011
This is a re-post from the 2011 archives

1 comment:

  1. I love this, and have had the same thing happen to me. I'm not a grandparent, but I'm the oldest of 8 and I refuse to dye my hair any longer. I stopped over 10 years ago because I WANT my hair to be healthy. It is amazing how people think something is wrong with you for the dumbest reasons. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...