Natural, Supernatural, Unnatural

We can supernaturally overcome our sins, natural man needs the supernatural
The most successful popular teachings among Christians: 
  • Appeal to felt needs, not actual needs. 
  • Tell us we're victims, not sinners. 
  • Tell us we're wonderful just the way we are. 
  • Use only Bible verses that make us feel good about ourselves. 
  • Exclude verses that talk about holiness, dying to self, or obeying God's commands.
We love hearing good things about ourselves which make us think God's love is limp and one-dimensional. But true love is full-bodied and includes teaching, rebuking, correcting and training (2 Timothy 3:16-17).

God is holy and He demands ... yes, demands ... holiness from His beloved children. 
  • Our "old man" = selfishness 
  • Our "new man" = holiness 
  • Our only hope = doing all things in Christ's strength (Philippians 4:13). 
The natural man needs the Supernatural Man to do what's unnatural for his fallen human nature because "He has saved us [WOW!!!] and called us to a holy life" (2 Timothy 1:9).

7 comments:

  1. Thank you, Gail. This is a very timely post. I appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tami. I pray you are having a blessed week.
      Gail

      Delete
  2. Amen. A friend and I talk about this all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those kind of friendships, Michelle--the ones that keep us on our spiritual toes : )

      Delete
  3. This is so dead on, thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been reading about a hymn each day this year and after I read about it, I try to find a video of someone singing it. I know that a lot of times people leave out some verses because some of those old hymns can be quite long, but I've realized as I've been reading the whole songs that the verse(s) that are left unsung are usually the verses that talk about how wretched we are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How insightful for you to notice this. It's sad, isn't it? I heard some years ago that some church hymnals were changing the words of Amazing Grace from "Who saved a wretch like me" to something more palatable to our modern minds. But only when we realize we're wretched do we realize how wonderful His grace really is. Thanks for sharing this, and I think it's a neat practice to read old hymns. I have a couple of antique hymnals I may need to get out and look through.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...