2 Hindrances to Christian Growth: Lack of Contentment and Entitlement - Hebrews 13:5

Godliness with contentment, Love of Money, contentment Hebrews 13:5
Compared to the rest of the world, America is in a financial "league of its own." We "save too little, spend too much and borrow excessively."(1) Despite the 2008 financial crisis, most Americans still spend more than they earn.(2) 

My grandparents:
  • lived in a tiny house making additions when they had the money.
  • saved until they could afford large purchases.
  • vacationed only after the bills were paid.
In this decade, we spend more for a pair of shoes than we spent on our first car,(3) and inflation doesn't account for all of it.

Our attitudes toward spending are cross-generational, and they stem from two major problems: 

1.  A lack of contentment 
2.  A sense of entitlement 

I'm guilty myself but I'm asking God to help me recognize this as sin and remember Hebrews 13:5

"Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have."

(1) NPR, Why Americans Spend Too Much
(2) "A 2012 Federal Reserve Survey of Consumer Finances calculated that just 52% of American households earn more money than they spend."
Bad Money Habits
(3) I bought my used 55 Chevy for $150 in 1968 : )

To do a Bite Size Bible Study on this devotion, click HERE. In the study, I share a few more thoughts and 3 Scripture passages to ponder.


Godliness with contentment, Love of Money, contentment Hebrews 13:5


4 comments:

  1. Oh, how very true--and sad. If only we could adopt Paul's attitude, "I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength." Philippians 4:11-13

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Pam. That's one of the verses in the Bite Size Bible study on this devotion. Such a clear, rich word from Paul/God.

      Delete
  2. Hi Gail! I can't hear this enough. With my husband out of work for over a year, I do get a bit nervous at times. I really do need to understand God has it all, and we'll be fine. It's all in the attitude.

    Happy Monday!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Ceil, you are going through a difficult testing in this area. My son was out of work all of last year, working at Chik-fil-a and a local farmer's market to feed his family of 5. He now has a ministry position again. But it was tough. I pray that your husband soon finds good work for him and that your family has all of your needs met. Are you presently in need of anything? Please let me know how I can pray.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...