Bullets & Bibles - How Pocket Bibles Save Soldier's Lives

Brendan Schweigart
This devotion first appeared on Bite Size Bible study in February 2013.

Baghdad, 2007: PFC Brendan Schweigart was hit by a sniper. The bullet went into his side and out his chest, where it was stopped by a pocket Bible he kept in his bullet-proof vest. 

If the Bible had not been there, it’s likely that the bullet would have ricocheted off the armor and back into his body, possibly killing him. 

This is not the first time a pocket Bible has been credited for saving the life of a soldier. 

I have my father’s pocket Bible from WWII, and it actually has a metal cover for that specific purpose. 


How Bibles save lives
You can see the cover has rusted
But I have a story about a Bible saving my life too:
I was a disillusioned, nominal Christian, who saw no purpose in life beyond my own happiness. 


Then, I began reading the Bible…and it led me to the Lord, who saved me from eternal death.

My story is every bit as incredible as PFC Schweigart’s. What about you? Do you have a story about the Bible saving your life?

Bible credited with saving soldier's life
Do the short Bible study on this devotion HERE.
I found this site that shares some other stories of Bibles saving soldier's lives HERE.

Did you know Bible Love Notes has a Facebook page and a Pinterest page? Why not become a follower of both and help spread the Word of God all over cyberspace!

5 comments:

  1. This is a really clever post! I never realized they had metal covers on the Bibles. Thanks for sharing two interesting thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a wonderful little New Testament printed by the American Bible Society with a letter "from the White House" on the front page commending the reading of the Bible. The White House letter is signed, but I can't make out the name and it doesn't appear to be the name of a President or I think I would recognize it. In the back it has the 10 Commandments, a few Psalms, Some Christian hymns, and the National Anthem plus a very short "Where to Look" index.
      I wish my father were alive so I could ask him if it was issued to him or if it was a gift from someone.
      Thanks for enjoying it with me.
      Gail

      Delete
  2. I love stories like these, Gail. What a treasure you have in your father's Bible. And the president commending the reading of the Bible? Wow. Thank you for sharing this today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Meghan, I really do treasure that little Bible.
      Thanks for stopping by and sharing your encouragement.

      Delete
  3. My heart is warm. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...