Stopped at the Border


This 1-minute devotion explains what it means to be legally on the "train bound for glory" - with insights from a trip into former Communist Germany.


On a train in Communist Germany without proper papers...

When we lived in West Germany in the early 1980's, West Berlin was a "half-city" surrounded by Communist Germany. The U.S. maintained a troop train to supply and protect it.

Military families could ride free on this train but only with carefully prepared travel orders. 

Because my husband spent weeks doing field training away from home, I sometimes made the trip on the troop train with our children. It was an opportunity to enjoy Berlin's museums and ride back in a sleeper car, which my children especially enjoyed.

But one trip was especially memorable
At the border, Communist East German guards discovered that my travel orders were incorrectly prepared. It wasn't my fault, but legally they could have removed me from the train

Being stranded in Communist Germany would have been a frightening experience at that time in history. Fortunately, the Army appealed and I rode on to free West Berlin. 

Riding through enemy territory on our way to an oasis of freedom is a good analogy for Christian life. As long as Jesus signs our travel orders, we'll get past the enemy and safely home (Romans 6:23; Romans 8:38-39) . 

Remember the old song "This train is bound for glory"? Why not hum a few bars today and thank God for your free ride. 

This 1-minute devotion explains what it means to be legally on the "train bound for glory" - with insights from a trip into former Communist Germany.






7 comments:

  1. What an exciting time for you and your family!

    Today, I clicked on the audio part of your post.
    You have the most gentle and soft voice. What a treat. Plus, how thoughtful of you to add it for those who can't see very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind compliments. About the audio: I have a Hungarian Bible Love Notes, and my translator suggested we add the audio so we could introduce it to the School for the Blind in Budapest. And I thought it would be a good idea for Bible Love Notes as well. I hope we can promote the Hungarian blog at the School for the Blind when I visit Budapest this fall.

      Delete
  2. Wow, what a close call you had! I'm so glad the Lord was watching over you and your children.
    Coincidence - My husband and I lived in Germany for three years when he was in military service. We rented an apartment in Fischbach b. Dahn near the French border.
    Have a great evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fun...I always feel a connection to military families since it was part of my life for 22 years. I bet you have lots of interesting stories too.

      Delete
  3. What an exciting story today with a wonderful analogy. I love your audo too. How wonderful if it can be used in the blind school.

    When I was nine, we traveled from Italy to Switzerland, to Germany and then to Holland by train (including a sleeper) and I have such fond of that week (we only had one week). We didn't have an experience like you but your story made me think of our train ride.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great analogy!!! And I began singing that song from the first line. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting for your children to be able to sleep on the train. Oh those papers do need to be filled out correctly - and I am happy that my name is written down in the Book of books.

    ReplyDelete