Wednesday

Making Christian Friendships a Priority Because We Need Godly Fellowship

Christian Friendship, Hebrews 10:25
Who do you know better: your favorite television characters or your friends?

God created us with a deeper need for friendship than for work or entertainment. Yet many friendships, even "close" friendships, are shallow. No wonder so many people are depressed, discouraged, and lonely. 

To grow in Christ, we need a sense of community and meaningful relationships. Many of our emotional problems can be solved by sharing our joys and sorrows with others (Romans 12:15).

We often use Hebrews 10:24-25 as a command to attend church, but it's about relationships more than meetings. It's about the mutual encouragement we all need.

"Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works. And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another..."

If you don't have it, find a community where you can give and receive encouragement to grow in Christ.

See also: To have a friend, you must be one.

5 comments:

  1. This is such a great post, so full of truth. One of the many beautiful gifts God has given us is friendship. It is sad Gail that some people don't take the time to nurture this gift and watch it grow. I thank God for all of my friends and I thank you for sharing these words of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Love this one, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I don't TV and I greatly value my friends at church, those who moved far away, and some special bloggie friends (like you). I have gone through times (like now) where special friends have moved on but then God brings me in tighter with Him and my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gail, thanks for this important post. I was recently at a retreat where the theme was the value and nurturing of friendships. I can't imagine doing life without my closest friends and my community of believers.
    I always appreciate your wise words.
    Blessings to you, my friend ~ Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just read the best definition of a friend: "Someone who sticks by you when life takes a bite out of your heart." I am so blessed to have friends like this. Glad you're one of them :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...