Why We Say "Amen!"

Amen, So Be It, Jesus is God's Amen
When doing ministry in Bulgaria, I asked a woman if she’d understood me. She shook her head side to side, so I began to explain again. 

But the interpreter stopped me. “She understood. In Bulgaria, shaking one’s head side to side means ‘yes.’”

You can imagine the difficulty this causes since the majority of countries in the world use this head movement to say “no.” 

I thought of this when reading 1 Corinthians 1:18-20 where Paul says his yes means yes, not no. And Paul tells us that Jesus is “God’s ultimate “Yes.” 

"For all of God’s promises have been fulfilled in Christ with a resounding “Yes!” And through Christ, our “Amen” (which means “Yes”) ascends to God for his glory.” (NLT) 

Next time we say “Amen” which literally means “so be it,” let's think about this deeper Biblical meaning! 


Have my 1-Minute Devotions sent to your email box each weekday. It's free


Enter your email address

1 comment:

  1. Amazing that the Bulgarian people would shake their heads from side to side to mean, 'yes.' I liked your connection to 1 Corinthians 1:18-20. I love the picture of the lady in the doorway. Your door pictures again :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...