Spiritual Atrophy

Without God's Word, we go backward spiritually, Jesus, Bible, Christiain growth
Disappointed by continuing difficulties, I doubted that my prayers were making much difference. So I cut back on prayer and Bible study.

Nothing happened immediately, but gradually my faith muscles grew weaker. I struggled more, I questioned more, I was more confused and frustrated. I couldn’t push Satan’s condemning remarks from my ears as easily, and my grasp on Truth grew weaker. 

One afternoon I was overwhelmed with oppression like nothing I’d ever experienced before—total despair without any basis in fact. It frightened me and I reestablished my quiet-time disciplines. 

“be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is” Romans 12:2 (NIV)

At first my spiritual muscles were weak and wobbly, but gradually they recovered. And I learned an important lesson: We never stand still—we either move forward or backward!

copyright Gail Burton Purath, 2012 


I'd love for you to subscribe below and have BLN sent to your email box each weekday. Be sure to validate the Feedburner email sent to your inbox when you subscribe. Thanks! Gail  
For free email delivery of Bible Love Notes
Enter your email address

5 comments:

  1. Hi Gail - this is excellent!!! Great post, great encouragement. We either move forward or backward. there is no standing still. What a profound statement
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I tell you how much I needed this today. Thank you! I love the Lord so much but I certainly talk myself out of my devotional time more often than not as of late. I need to come up with a schedule I can keep because I know it is so important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our walk with God must not be compared with others and their walk (or stumble as the case might be) Firmly plant your feet on His word and follow His path. God always makes a WAY for YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true. I need my Bible Study to help me focus on God. My soul is so hungry without it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spiritual muscles atrophy due a lack of exercise as much as physical or intellectual muscles...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...