3 Ways to Overcome Temptation

Psalm 119 offers 3 strategies for overcoming Temptation. This 1-Minute Devotion explains.

Ever feel frustrated by the temptations around you? 

Perhaps you're struggling to eat healthier, waste less time on the TV, avoid immoral influences, overcome doubts or fears, accept God's will for you, or fit time with God into your busy day. 

We all face temptations of one sort or another, and Psalm 119:9-16 gives us a strategy for staying pure:

💙 1. Respect God's Word:
  • Study it (v. 15). 
  • Obey what you read (v. 9).
💙 2. Love God's Word (and God): 
  • Rejoice in it (v. 14). 
  • Delight in it (v. 16). 
💙 3. Be committed and deliberate about God's Word: 
  • Memorize it – i.e. hide it in your heart (v. 11). 
  • Don't ever forget it (v. 16). 
  • Meditate on it, reciting (v. 13) and reflecting on it (v. 15). 
"I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you ... With my lips I recount all the laws that come from your mouth. I rejoice in following your statutes ... I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways... I will not neglect your word."  Psalm 119:11-16
--------------------


Why not add some more of God's Word to your schedule by having a 1-minute devotion delivered to your email each weekday. Sign up for a free subscription to Bible Love Notes and get a free e-booklet. Find out more HERE.


Psalm 119 offers 3 strategies for overcoming Temptation. This 1-Minute Devotion explains.

Psalm 119 offers 3 strategies for overcoming Temptation. This 1-Minute Devotion explains.


Bible Love Notes

2 comments:

  1. I really appreciate your insights, Gail. I love the idea of index cards...or the reminder to write verses on them again. I have started journaling again since my time has adjusted to allow for more than just reading God's Word. Thank you so much for the time you spend putting these devotions together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Peter,
    I'm so sorry that my comments weren't being published so I'm just now reading yours. I encourage you to start by reading the same passages/chapters and allowing them to sink into your spirit even if you are not memorizing them. And find ways to make Scripture study more interesting or fun....do you like word studies (taking a word and getting a concordance and writing down how the word is used in each passage and what insight it gives you. For example, you could take the word "temptation." Find a good Bible study that goes in depth but fits in with your schedule. Study God's Word with a friend or small group. Do whatever it takes to get back into God's Word.

    I'm saying a prayer for you as I write this.
    God bless you.

    ReplyDelete