He Cheated My Grandfather...or Did He?

A True Story that will inspire you and remind you of God's promise that people will reap what they sow.

My great grandfather and his cousin homesteaded in Kansas in the late 1800s, and his cousin purposely deceived him by switching claims. 

After my grandfather built a nice home, his cousin revealed the switch and "legally" stole my grandfather's house.

My grandfather, an especially forgiving soul, took this injustice in stride. But it wasn't easy for his family who lived in the cousin's shack until they had time and money to build another home. 

But there's an epilogue.

Years later, natural gas was discovered on my grandfather's plot, and not on his cousin's. My grandfather, his children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren benefited from that well for many years. God used a bad situation for my grandfather's good (Romans 8:28)

Sometimes we see God's purposes during our lifetime, sometimes not until heaven. But we know that God doesn't ignore injustice:

"Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. Whoever sows to please their flesh, from the flesh will reap destruction; whoever sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life." Galatians 6:7-8

Because my grandfather was a pastor as well as a farmer, I'm blessed to know that he sowed seeds spiritually as well as literally. I look forward to someday meeting him in heaven!


A great hardcover devotional priced lower than most paperbacks.
If you enjoy Bible Love Notes one-minute devotions, I think you'll enjoy my devotional Wisdom for Life. It's a hard-cover book priced lower than most paperbacks.  Click the image to find out more. ~ Gail

A True Story that will inspire you and remind you of God's promise that people will reap what they sow.




Bible Love Notes

6 comments:

  1. Wow, what a story!!! Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is so good. When we are wronged, we can trust God to work things out. We have no need of taking things into our own hands. Great story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, is this a true story? How cool, and I love the pic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Marja, this was the story told to me by my grandmother and father. My sisters and I still have our share of that well.

      Delete
  4. God's timing, protection and provision are perfect. Thank you very much for sharing this testimony! Powerful, and right on time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always forgive and forget, vengeance belongs to God.

    ReplyDelete