Winning Another Kind of Jackpot: Money versus Wisdom

Would You Give Up $590.5 Million to be Polite? This woman did.

She lost the lottery but her daughter gained wisdom and values...

Gloria Mackenzie, 84, stepped in front of Mindy Crandell, 34, in the lottery ticket line. The store clerk noticed and offered to let Mindy go first, but she declined. 

That gracious act cost Crandell $590.5 million because Mackenzie won the Powerball Jackpot with a ticket that Crandell would have purchased.

Would You Give Up $590.5 Million to be Polite? This woman did.Surprisingly, Crandell has no ill feelings. 

"It could have been us, but things happen. Sometimes it's better to be patient than right. I knew we were teaching our daughter* the right thing," Crandell said.

Let's set aside the issue of gambling/lotteries for the sake of discussion: What if your decision to be gracious cost you millions. 

Would you respond like Crandell?

I don't think I would.

But Scripture confirms Crandell's attitude.

How much better to get wisdom than gold, to get insight rather than silver! Proverbs 16:16

Situations like these define our real values. 
-------------
See also: Philippians 2:3-4;   Romans 8:28

* Crandell's daughter was with her in line
Source: ABC News


5 comments:

  1. Great Question To Ponder! I'd Like To Think I Could Be Gracious. I Do Know That God Will Bless This For Her godly Perspective. Thanks For Sharing!

    Joanne Cuchel Www.Dirtychristianwoman.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, considering I am a christian...I would never be in that line! LOL. But...lovely, lovely mother with the right way of thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that Gail! Well I might regret it at first..but it is true..there are definitely more lasting and eternal things than millions of $$ :) Ummm right!? LOL Just kidding...what a great example that Momma was!!
    Love your site!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gail,

    A true Christian indeed, that Miss Mindy! In answer to your challenging question, my heart would say, "Yes, I would be happy for Gloria Mackenzie", but not sure if my brain/logic would agree, "Shoot! When will I ever get that chance again?!". Of course, we know that health and love are the important, meaningful things in life, but different things bring people happiness. For me, the health and safety of my loved ones, and myself are invaluable, and thus, money doesn't even come into the equation.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this little devotional - gives me much to think about. :-) And most people that win the lottery end up being unhappy anyway.
    Visiting from Better Mom Monday!

    ReplyDelete