Balcony Views

Psalm 121 gives a wonderful solution for discouragement. This truth became clear to me one day while standing on a balcony in "paradise."

“Happiness is not the absence of hardship. It’s the ability to see beyond it.” (unknown)

I’ve been depressed and discouraged at times, and I've learned that these attitudes are often related to my perspective.  

I thought of this one time when I was on a sixth-floor balcony: 
  • Looking down, I saw my bare feet on the cold, concrete floor. 
  • Because I was sitting in a chair, my front view was obstructed by a metal railing.
  • But looking up, I saw the sunny blue sky!
When depressed, I look down and see only cold, bare feelings. Or I sit in my circumstances and allow my view to be obstructed by a railing of hopelessness.

Only as I begin to look up and seek God do I gain perspective that gives me strength to see things as they really are.

“I lift up my eyes to the mountains—where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.”
Psalm 121:1-2

Are you discouraged? Look up! 

See also Psalm 123.


----------------------
Free Subscription to 1-Minute Bible Love Notes
Why not add some more of God's Word to your schedule by having a 1-minute devotion like this one delivered to your email each weekday. Sign up for a free subscription to Bible Love Notes and get a free e-booklet. Find out more HERE.

Psalm 121 gives a wonderful solution for discouragement. This truth became clear to me one day while standing on a balcony in "paradise."



Bible Love Notes

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful view (of my favorite place) to go with a beautiful post. Thank you Gail, you always bring out the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is good stuff! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful uplifting message Gail!
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely - thanks Gail.
    thinking you would enjoy the journey of wonder we're on to #LIVEWONDERSTRUCK on 21 days of wonder. i've been posting for most days if you'd like to check it out =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This must be the third or fourth post in a row regarding God's grace and goodness through hardships & suffering! How how it speaks truth to me, & stirs me towards faith! Thank you! UNITED in Him, Jen

    ReplyDelete