Can You Give Me Your Card?

He changed our lives through his great scientific wisdom and he believed God created the world.

In 19th-century France, an older gentleman and young college student met on a train. 

Because the older man was reading his Bible, the college student said, “Surely you don’t believe in that ancient book.” 

“Yes, I do,” he replied confidently.

“My study of science proves that the Bible is mere superstition," the young man said proudly. No intelligent person would believe it.” 

“Could you explain?” the old man asked with a pleasant smile. 

“Well, I’m getting off at the next stop, but I’ll be glad to send you some scientific literature that you might be able to understand. Can you give me your card?” 

The old man reached into his pocket and gave the young man his card which read: “Louis Pasteur, Paris Institute for Scientific Research.”(1) 

Pasteur was a brilliant scientist who believed in creation. He revolutionized food safety by introducing pasteurization. And he formulated several vaccines, including a vaccine for rabies.

Even though many of his contemporaries and many modern scientists are committed to evolution, Pasteur didn't believe it (1 Corinthians 1:19-21).(2)

He left no doubts, saying, “The more I study nature, the more I stand amazed at the works of the Creator.”

To read more on Pasteur’s faith and scientific accomplishments, see: Louis Pasteur

------------------------- 

(1) I found this story on multiple sights with varying quotes and details so I related it in my own words. It’s a credible story, but the only attribution I found was "Tonne, Stories for Sermons, Vol. 11, #272." Whether the situation is true or not, we know that Pasteur encountered opposition for his unwavering belief in biblical creation.  

(2) There have always been two types of wisdom.

"For it is written: 'I will destroy the wisdom of the wise; the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate.' Where is the wise person? Where is the teacher of the law? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe." 1 Corinthians 1:19-21
 
FREE E-BOOKLET:
Free Subscription to 1-Minute Bible Love Notes
Why not add some more of God's Word to your schedule by having a 1-minute devotion like this one delivered to your email each weekday. Sign up for a free subscription to Bible Love Notes and get a free e-booklet that will help you add joy and depth to your Quiet Time. Find out more HERE.

He changed our lives through his great scientific wisdom and he believed God created the world.


He changed our lives through his great scientific wisdom and he believed God created the world.

 
Bible Love Notes

2 comments:

  1. I did not know that Pasteur was a creationist! Thanks for teaching me something new today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, for attaching the story of Pasteur! I cried at the beauty of his life and all that he accomplished. I printed out his story and will share it with others.

    ReplyDelete