Friday

There's a World of Difference Between Forgiving And Excusing Sin - 1 John 1:8-9

Isaiah 66:2, contrition, contrite, repentance, humility
God expects us to be humble and contrite when we ask forgiveness...

"When I think I am asking God to forgive me, I am often, in reality (unless I watch myself very carefully) asking Him....to excuse me...There is all the difference in the world between forgiving and excusing." C.S. Lewis

Contrite: "feeling or showing sorrow and remorse for a sin or shortcoming."

Contrition is rare.

Excusing sin is common. 

And the Bible says that's why most men are self-deceived: 

"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." 
1 John 1:8-9 

Contrition is a requirement for a close relationship with Christ and God values it highly: 

God declares, “These are the ones I look on with favor: those who are humble and contrite in spirit, and who tremble at my word" (Isaiah 66:2).

Not only does genuine contrition give us a realistic view of our sins, it also brings refreshment to our souls (Acts 3:19).


May we each face our sins honestly and find favor with the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...