God-Approved Boasting

Did you know that God wants us to BOAST about something in particular? This 1-minute devotion explains.

I was a jump-rope champion in 7th-grade gym. I won a water-safety poetry contest that same year. I was the editor of my high school newspaper. And my husband loves my low-carb cheesecake. 

If I bragged about these things, it would be pretty pathetic, but even the greatest human accomplishments pale in comparison to this boast that God prizes most:

"Thus says the LORD, 'Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the LORD who exercises lovingkindness, justice and righteousness on earth; for I delight in these things,' declares the LORD." Jeremiah 9:23-24 (2)

So here is my finest boast: I know the King of kings and the Lord of lords; and His Spirit helps me understand things that non-Christians can never understand about His lovingkindness, righteousness, and justice. And I can boast about this all day long! 

Can you make this boast?

If not, please read my explanation of Eternal Life on Bible Love Notes. Or you might prefer reading a true story about a dying woman's salvation on Bite Size Bible Study's Eternal Life page. 

💙💙💙💙💙💙

(1) Paul quotes this passage in 2 Corinthians 10:17

😀 In case you're interested in my 7th-grade water-safety poem: 

While swimming in your favorite pools, 
Be sure to follow safety rules. 
And if you follow every one, 
Your swimming will be extra fun.

But of all the poems I've ever written, my favorite one is here: Being a Woman of the Word.


Did you know that God wants us to BOAST about something in particular? This 1-minute devotion explains.


Bible Love Notes

6 comments:

  1. "That he understands and knows me..." Yeah, who can claim that? No more boasting then... well, maybe about a little poem here and there ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, do you think this passage in Jeremiah is saying you have no reason to boast because no one can truly understand and know God?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, it is saying the opposite.

      It is saying that anyone can know and understand God, whether rich, poor, weak, strong, young, old.

      Those who desire to know God will know Him.
      * Jeremiah 29:13 says, "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."
      * Hebrews 11:6 says He rewards those who earnestly seek Him.

      Obviously, we can never fully understand or know our infinite God, but we can know Him well (Ephesians 3:19). Paul says it this way in the 2 Corinthians 10:17: “Let the one who boasts boast in the Lord.”

      I hope this answers your question.
      Bless you,
      Gail

      Delete