Profanity is Never a Person's Main Problem - 1 Corinthians 5:12

profanity, don't judge those outside the church, sharing Christ
People need Jesus before they can accurately identify and overcome sin...

"The essence of good taste is never to be offended by bad taste." Hugh Hewitt

She was a casual acquaintance and quite a talker. Sometimes during our conversations, I was able to share things about Jesus.

Unfortunately, she had a terrible habit of using profanity and taking God's name in vain. 

Using my Lord's name as a cuss word always makes me cringe inside, but I never cringed outwardly. That's because I knew this woman's problem wasn't language; it was her need for Christ. 

There was a time I thought it was my job to reform sinners. Then I realized that's God's job. 

We have a responsibility inside the church to warn, instruct, and correct each other in regard to sin. But outside the church, with unbelievers, our job is to share Christ. 

"What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?" 1 Corinthians 5:12*


* We should speak up for God's truth in the public forum, and we should talk about sin and our need for a Savior when we share Christ with unbelievers. But it is not our role to rebuke unbelievers when they sin nor is it the mission of the church to pass formal judgement on unbelievers. However, it is a role of the church to rebuke and pass formal judgement on fellow Christians (See 1 Corinthians 5:4-6, 11, 13).
Today I'm guest posting on Upgrade with Dawn where I'm a contributing partner. "God Wins All Wrestling Matches" is a longer version of one of my 1-minute devotions about a time I did two illegal things in Czechoslovakia, one approved by God and one not.

5 comments:

  1. Gail, I'm so intrigued by the phrase about doing 'two illegal things in Czechslovakia...' You have the best testimonies--thank you for shining for Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jody, for your kind words.
      All of us have neat stories in our lives, but I just happen to be old enough to have quite a few : )

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing, I really enjoyed reading this. Great insight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the same way. If the person is unsaved, they don't realize and the important thing is their salvation. Thanks for sharing this Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great! Thanks for sharing! Hopping on over from the Missional Women link-up. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...