Why Following Christ Will Never Make Us Popular

Why Following Christ Will Never Make Us Popular
"Everyone will hate you because of me." ~ Luke 21:17

No wonder Christ told us to "count the cost" before following Him.(1) He knew His true followers would never be popular with the world. 

The concepts of sin and hell have never been popular:

Speaking to non-believers, Jesus said:
John 7:7: The world cannot hate you, but it hates me because I testify that its works are evil. 

John 3:20: Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed. 

See: Is it Necessary to Speak of Hell?

Christ warned us that His true followers would face hatred and opposition:

Why Following Christ Will Never Make Us Popular
Luke 21:17: Everyone will hate you because of me.

John 15:18-19, 24-25: “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. 19 If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you...24 If I had not done among them the works no one else did, they would not be guilty of sin. As it is, they have seen, and yet they have hated both me and my Father. 25 But this is to fulfill what is written in their Law: ‘They hated me without reason.’"

Speaking to His Father, Jesus said:
John 17:14: I have given [Christ-followers] your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world. 

1 John 3:13: Do not be surprised, my brothers and sisters, if the world hates you. 

2 Timothy 3:12: In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted

Paul said this:
Galatians 1:10: Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.

These devotions explain more about this subject:
That's Not Jesus - Is Jesus Likable? - Who Do You Say That I Am? - False Views of Jesus)

Most of the world is traveling away from God:

Matthew 7:13-14: Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

Those who reject the teachings of Christ will never understand the agenda of Christ-followers:

Matthew 10: 21-22: “Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child; children will rebel against their parents and have them put to death. 22 You will be hated by everyone because of me, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved. 

Matthew 24:9-13: “Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me. 10At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, 11 and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. 12 Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, 13 but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved. 

See also: John 6:61-66

Christ warned us not to back away from His truths:

Luke 9:26: Whoever is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels.

See also: Standing Firm - Unashamed 

Christ promises reward for those who stand firm:

Luke 6:22-23What blessings await you when people hate you and exclude you and mock you and curse you as evil because you follow the Son of Man. 23 When that happens, be happy! Yes, leap for joy! For a great reward awaits you in heaven. And remember, their ancestors treated the ancient prophets that same way.
----------------------
(1) These 1-minute devotions talk about counting the cost of following Christ: 
Wooden Bench
It's Wonderful, Not Easy

No comments:

Post a Comment