Don't Fall For Permissive Grace

It's important to understand the difference between biblical grace and the more popular permissive grace.

I sometimes hear Christians talk about grace as if it means our sins are no big deal. They see no reason for a sinning Christian to be removed from leadership or reprimanded.
 
That's not biblical grace. It's permissive grace, based partly on false views about judgment. (See How, Who, and What to Judge According to Scripture.)

Grace offers forgiveness immediately when we repent. We don't need to work for it. But we still suffer consequences, we still disqualify ourselves from certain tasks, and we still must work to restore trust in those we've offended. 
 
We often remember the grace-filled offer in Revelation 3:20: “Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.” 

But let's not miss the grace-filled truth in the preceding verse (19):  “Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent.”
 
Permissive grace leads to worldly sorrow and leads us right back into sin (2 Corinthians 7:10).
 
God's loving grace involves correction and rebuke as well as forgiveness and comfort (2 Timothy 4:2; Titus  2:15; Hebrews 12:5-6). It doesn't soften or downplay the effects of sin on our souls. It calls us to godly sorrow. 
 
✞✞✞ 
 

 
It's important to understand the difference between biblical grace and the more popular permissive grace.

 

BLN

No comments:

Post a Comment