This week I got feedback from two readers about the Propaganda Dictionary. One said I was wrong to share politics in my devotions. The other asked what she could do when her Bible study refused to let her share how Talarico's political claims contradicted Scripture.
We need to understand that our Christian faith is important in every aspect of life, including politics.
I'm featuring Talarico in this series because he is a prolific source of propaganda claiming that the Bible, Jesus, and Christianity support ungodly laws that break God's heart. You'll discover more of his claims as this series unfolds.
Please note that I am addressing Talarico's claims about God, not his personal lifestyle. If I were examining personal lifestyles, I could find worse candidates than Talarico. But a candidate's lifestyle isn't as important to our nation as the platform he promotes, the way he votes on moral issues, and the laws he enacts. Bad men can promote good laws and good men can promote bad laws. If I vote for a likeable candidate who promotes laws that violate God's commands, I place a personality above the well-being of my country.
So before continuing my devotions using Talarico quotes, I want to highlight our responsibility as Christians:
It's important to God that we speak truth graciously, without mockery, profanity, or sarcasm, (Colossians 4:6; 1 Peter 3:14-17), but we're commanded to “contend for the faith” (Jude 1:3).
Philippians 1:27-28 tells us to strive for the gospel “without being frightened in any way by those who oppose you.”
2 Corinthians 10:5 says, “We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God.”
Colossians 2:8 warns us not to be taken captive “through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the elemental spiritual forces of this world rather than on Christ.”
If someone uses Scripture to promote things which mock Scripture, we must speak up. I pray my devotions using Talarico quotes will help you do that.
And please check out Lies in Disguise. It's a book that can help you discern lies in every area of life: Lies in Disguise.
BLN


No comments:
Post a Comment