In Isaiah 6, after Isaiah offers to go wherever God sends him, God tells him something we could easily misunderstand:
“Make the heart of this people calloused; make their ears dull and close their eyes. Otherwise they might see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts, and turn and be healed.” (verse 10)
God isn't promoting unbelief.
He's explaining that the people are hardened, having refused God's repeated warnings. They no longer listen to true spokesmen for God. God told this same thing to Jeremiah and Ezekiel (Jeremiah 7:27; Ezekiel 3:7), proving that the road to salvation is narrow (Matthew 7:13-14).
God is past speaking warnings. He's sending Isaiah to speak judgment.
But that is not the end of Isaiah's purposes. He will also be sharing God's future redemption.
Our God is patient. He repeatedly tries to get people's attention. But there comes a time when He realizes some people are not going to change. As Paul explains in Romans 1:18-32, God eventually “gives people over” to their sins.
This doesn’t mean God won’t take them back. It means that they will not listen without first experiencing His wrath.
The message of this passage is relevant to our current world situation.
God’s loving commands sound harsh to those with calloused hearts, but we must be unafraid to warn people, explain God’s truth, and offer hope of redemption to any who respond.
💙💙💙
I encourage you to read 3 Times God "Gives Them Over" to Their Sins. It will give you a fuller look at this concept.
In many ways, the modern church is suffering from half-truths. If you haven't checked out Lies in Disguise, I strongly recommend you do so. It will help you avoid false teachings and help you warn others.




Gail, thank you so much for all your Bible Love Notes, always Biblically sound. This passage reminds me of the plagues upon Egypt, that God hardened Pharaoh's heart. I have always been confused about that and our free will. Might you please clarify this for me?
ReplyDeleteGail, thank you for all your Bible Love Notes, always Biblically sound and helpful. This article reminds me of the ten plagues of Egypt where God hardened Pharaoh's heart. I have always wondered about this in regards to our free will. Might you have any enlightenment on this for me?
ReplyDeleteHi Michele,
DeleteBecause God knows every heart, He knows if someone has permanently decided to reject Him. When this happens, He sometimes uses them for His purposes. Apparently Pharoah had reached that point, so God further hardened Pharoah's heart. Does that help? Feel free to ask me more if that doesn't answer your question.
I hold the view held by most Bible scholars throughout history:
Your answer makes sense although it is still a mystery to me regarding choice. For instance, a family member believes that God and the Bible are a fairy tale. Is there no hope for him if his heart has been hardened by God?
DeleteHi Michele,
DeleteThis is one of those things only God can know. I've heard the testimonies of people who lived in jungle tribes where murder and pagan worship were accepted parts of their lives, but they've believed and trusted the Lord and been saved.
I've heard of others who were raised Christians but rejected their faith and later returned to their faith with full belief.
I've heard of others who were raised in Christian faith by loving, godly parents but they've rejected Christianity and died in unbelief.
From our viewpoint, there is always hope. Only God knows who has permanently hardened their hearts. And God does not harden a person's heart unless they have already chosen to permanently reject Him (i.e. unless they have reached a point where they are no longer open to the gospel).
I very much appreciate your answer. As you say, God knows. I believe that He judges accordingly. May God bless you and I thank you again for all your help and Bible studies.
ReplyDeleteYou are so welcome, Michele! God bless you as you study His Word.
Delete