Pages

6 Character Traits of Christians Who Overcome Selfishness

6 Traits of Neo-Narcissists and 6 Traits of Genuine Christians. Which list describes your lifestyle and values?

Ever since Satan convinced Eve to place her desires above God's commands in the garden, he's been promoting pride and arrogance in the human race. 


When I scroll through “Christian posts” on social media, I'm regularly disappointed by messages emphasizing our significance and our desires instead of God's significance and desires.

Narcissism is becoming more prevalent as people: 

1. Boast about themselves.
2. Refuse to confess mistakes, let alone their sins.
3. Have no respect for age or experience.
4. Value beauty, money, and power more than character.
5. Blame-shift. 
6. Compromise moral values.

    Narcissism used to be a rare psychological problem, but this new form of narcissism is affecting many and giving them a destructive type of self-confidence.

    In contrast, God is looking for people who:

    1. “Boast” about knowing Him (Jeremiah 9:23-24).
    2. Accept correction (Proverbs 15:32).
    3. Value experience and wisdom of older Christians (Proverbs 23:22; Proverbs 30:111 Timothy 5:1-2)
    4. Value character and seek to develop it (Galatians 5:16-17).
    5. Take personal responsibility, repenting of sin (1 John 1:9-10).
    6. Refuse to conform to our culture (Romans 12:2).

    These actions give us a healthy God-confidence.

    We can't avoid the neo-narcissists voices in our culture, but we can reject them and seek a closer walk with the Lord.  💙 

    ✜✜✜
     
    For more on this subject check out the 1-minute devotion The Pharisees had High Self-Esteem
     
    And check out the reasonably priced book Lies in Disguise. It offers wisdom about many of the half-truths that have infiltrated Christian teaching, such as the one briefly discussed in this devotion.
     


     
    6 Traits of Neo-Narcissists and 6 Traits of Genuine Christians. Which list describes your lifestyle and values?

    6 Traits of Neo-Narcissists and 6 Traits of Genuine Christians. Which list describes your lifestyle and values?

    6 Traits of Neo-Narcissists and 6 Traits of Genuine Christians. Which list describes your lifestyle and values?


    10 comments:

    1. Amen . Great post. Could this happen to Christians as well?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yes, C.D., I fear that there are many neo-narcissists among Christians as well - another reason it can be difficult to identify such characteristics in ourselves. But with God's help we can!

        Gail

        Delete
    2. Amen , Thank you Gail Happy Blessed & Healthy & Prosperous New Year

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I wish you a wonderful 2016 as well. I know God has all sorts of things planned for us all!
        Gail

        Delete
    3. I so enjoy your One Minute devos. You are a tremendous blessing to me and I mean to tell you more often. I'm sure that many others get blessed by the Lord through you as well and never tell you. THANK YOU for shining the light of Christ so beautifully and boldly!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you, Michele. It encourages me to know that Bible Love Notes is a blessing to you.
        Please pray that I will be faithful to write what God wants me to write.
        God bless you!
        Gail

        Delete
    4. Hi Gail, great reminder at the beginning of the year to put Christ first in ALL things. God bless
      Tracy

      ReplyDelete
    5. Hi Gail, I know this post is over a year old, but it continues to be prevalent still to this day. I am grateful that I have the ability to study God's word through Precept bible study nearly every day. I also have a wonderful pastor that teaches God's truth, whether we like the truth or not :) If you have time, you can watch one of our sermons at crossroadschurch.net. Right now we are going through a series called Friction. We are going through the book of Daniel. Hope you have a blessed day.

      ReplyDelete
    6. a very powerful lesson for us all, Gail!

      ReplyDelete