Words and Letters....Letters and Words


"As a writer, I love words. I hear them in my head, squeeze and stretch them, massage and poke them, rearrange and edit them." (from Sticks & Stones).  So I thought it would be "write-on" to make my dining room "wordy." 


I love my oak table that my grandfather once sat at as a child. It's huge with 4 leaves (3 in it in this photo), and my son did a wonderful job refinishing it about 15 years ago. 


But, it was time for a change of scenery for that old table; and, as always, I have the vision and my hubby does most of the hard work. Fortunately, he enjoys his part too, maybe not as much as I enjoy mine, but he still enjoys it.

There were lots of little steps in this process. 

A Shelf: Painting a natural wood shelf I had stored in a closet.

New Art: I found a rustic wood & metal heart clearanced at T.J. Max. But I wanted it to be word-related, so I removed the heart (which screwed on), decoupaged pages from an old dictionary behind it and re-screwed the heart back on.


I like how it turned out.

And then I began collecting letters whenever they were on sale at craft stores...
  

Letters of various shapes, sizes, styles, none more than $5 each.
 

Next, using paper and paint tape, I made several arrangements on the wall until I liked it...and then I changed it a few times more. The hardest part for me was to make the arrangement "loose." I'm a bit too symetrical in my decor as you can tell from my previous conservative Americana look. But I wanted this to be "organized confusion" since writing means organizing all those words and thoughts floating around in our brains.
 





I decided to paint the letters the same color as the wall for two reasons:  I didn't want the room to look too "busy" and I thought this would tone it down a bit.  I realize I can always change my mind and repaint some or all of the letters later.


I like the embossed effect that resulted....what do you think? Too plain for you? I added a cabinet and the heart-art to add a little contrast and texture.



There are only two arrangements in the collection of letters. the obvious one spelling "WORDS" and this one in the center meaning "MICHAEL & GAIL LOVE JESUS."

I bought this wonderful old cabinet in the 1990's from a Bonn, Germany flea market. It's a handmade tool cabinet with a door that opens the wrong way. No, it's not upside down. It actually came with all of the tools inside.

Then there's the high chair...


I found this handmade high chair for less than $15 at Goodwill because of senior discount. Here's my sweet husband again doing the dirty work.

He painted it blue and I roughed it up a bit. We use it when our 2 year old grandson eats something messy, but it's mostly just decor, holding some of my painted books. Check out the post about painted books HERE.

On the other dining room wall, I put the year my honey and I were married above a wooden sign of our home town--where my husband and I met, where he grew up. Guess it will always be our "real" hometown.

This dresser has been my dining room buffet for more than 25 years. It was abandoned in a shed of our military quarters when we were living in Germany. I changed the knobs to bring it into the letter and word theme. The knobs spell our name "PURATH."


The book on top of my Autobiographies is a special blue book with a special story HERE. God used that book to lift my weary heart one day.



And then there's my Hungarian typewriter....read about it HERE. I also displayed a model of an old VW van on the shelf....something that my husband picked up when we were shopping. It's so unusual for him to have an interest in something like this that I knew we had to have it.  And I like it too.


And oh, how I love old books...not just for reading, but I love the covers, worn by years of use...words, words, and more words...


I wasn't sure if this little pile looked "messy" or not. I told you I'm kind of orderly and symmetrical. Next to the pile is a little chair from my mother's Sunday School class. (Miss my mom, but I'll see her again. She's dancin' in heaven right now. Want to read a 1-minute devotion about a sweet moment we shared on her deathbed? It's HERE.)


My dining room has a single window that faces the entrance to my home. Previously, I only had a blind on the window, but I found this comforter cover at IKEA and this city pillow at Marshalls and decided my street car bench from Golden, CO would look great below the window. Obviously, I still have oak and Americana mixed in with my wordy room.

I thought I could get away without lining the comforter cover for the curtains since it's double thickness, but when the light came through two layers, it blurred the letters. So I backed it with a white sheet.  I used another comforter cover to make my table cloth and it was fine without being lined. I think each cover was $15. I wish I owned stock in IKEA...I'm always recommending it. (For example: my booth ... my grandchildren's closet playhouse ... my couch.)




The tutorial for my dictionary eggs is HERE.





On one of my trunks I put some vintage books and a CD case with town names like the pillow under the window. (Trunk collection HERE.) I love the reminder of this sign: Life is Good. Even when things go wrong, as long as I know Jesus is in my life, life is truly good (Romans 8:28).




I used my Scrabble board for a centerpiece.





Do you see that blank wall? Well, something is coming for that space....but that is another post. It took me soooooo long to get this much finished and this post is way too long, so I decided to save that wall for another post. But I'm excited about it. I saw something on Pinterest and I'm going to see if I can't improvise.

Words and letters letters and words









So what do you think? Leave me a comment. I'd love to hear your kind opinions and your suggestions. And if you think you'd like to receive a 1-minute Christian devotion each weekday, please sign up for a free subscription to my blog. I don't send out decor features, but I'd love to send you my devotions.
Bless you,
Gail





56 comments:

  1. Outstanding! I love that your word walls blend and don't stand out too much. It makes the eye stop and read without it being glaring. It's such a beautiful and meaningful room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathe. I've had a lot of fun planning and changing plans. Can't believe it's finally done!

      Delete
  2. That is too unique!! I love it!! I love the steamer trunk!!!!! We used to have at least three of them. I painted one blue just like yours and a smaller one green to match our family room in our old house. I don't think we have them any more. You have me wondering. They were from our parents in the 1940's when they went to China. Sharing all those pictures just gets my wheels turning.

    Oh...I dropped over from Mom's the Word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find your trunks...It would be wonderful to have ones your family actually used! If you find them, you must do a post about them. And you need to come and visit me too : )

      Delete
  3. I think your room looks great. I agree with your choice to paint the letters the same color as the wall. It isn't too overwhelming, but unifies the theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristi. I'm feeling good about the choice too. Glad you stopped by.

      Delete
  4. Wow! That is really amazing! I stand in awe of all those that can decorate in such a manner. :) I just struggle with it sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kendra. We all have different areas of giftedness in our homes, and I know (from your blog) that you have many.

      Delete
  5. Found you via the Grand Social and signing up for your daily devotionals! Love the ideas and how you've redone your room. "Pinned ya" to read all the links in the post; I'm sure they're wonderful! Hope to see you around my dance soon. BB2U

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit and so glad to have you as a new subscriber for my 1-minute devotions.
      Bless you,
      Gail

      Delete
  6. I love when you share your creativity and decoration skills! You have such neat ideas! Keep sharing them and I don't mind how long they are! :) Will have to check out IKEA, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brenda, you're kind. I'm glad you enjoyed this.

      Delete
  7. This is so awesome! Love all your decoration and how you did this!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant and simplistic idea - I love how you tied it all together with personal touches reflecting your marriage and history! Stopped by from Titus 2 Tuesday! :)

    Megan @ http://www.cmongetcrafty.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Megan. I always enjoy seeing those personal things in others homes too.

      Delete
  9. oooh! I love it and I love the embossed look! It is not too plain at all! It's the kind of room I would love to sit in, write it and just be in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love the letter/word wall! super cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How original. I so like the uniqueness of it. U an visiting from Adorned From Above. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeanette Ann. It's fun to share with others and get feedback.

      Delete
  12. LOVE your new dining room!!! I especially love how everything in it tells a story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.
      The older I get, the more stories I have : )

      Delete
  13. I love it. And I enjoyed the visit. Wish I was there in person! You're so creative. I want to be just like you when I grow up. May the Lord bless you muchly today (Look that one up in one of your dictionaries -- maybe under "literary license" ?)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You did a fantastic job. I love the letters and words, especially because they're rather subtle and sweet, not loud and obnoxious. You've shared some truly fantastic posts in the GRAND Social. Thank you.

    One thing: How did I not realize you were from Colorado (my home)? Or did I know and just don't remember? Either way, I love what you've been doing, what you've been sharing. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if I remember hearing you were from CO either. Well, that's fun to have in common. Even though we live in NC now, CO still seems like home. Thanks for hosting Grand Social.

      Delete
  15. Wow. I love how you really tied the theme altogether. Love the pillow and your Scrabble centerpiece is so cute!

    I have never really seen a "words" theme before. Although on pinterest I have seen walls where people wrote down verses or phrases or quotes on the whole wall. And another wall in the dining room had people sign their names on it whenever them came over to eat (or visit). I thought that was fun!

    Thanks so much for linking up to the "Making Your Home Sing Monday" linky party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neat idea about having people sign their names...too many good ideas and too few rooms to redecorate : )

      Delete
  16. I think it is extraordinary! Overall it looks good, period. But then add in all of those details and it is amazing to read and view! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words, Debra. Getting that kind of feed back makes all the planning and effort worthwhile : )

      Delete
  17. Everything looks so good! The tone on tone looks good. I wonder if going a few shades darker would be nice too? I love how typographic the whole space is! I LOVE LETTERS and those old books are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathryn. I wish I could try all the different shades before deciding...It might look even better with a darker shade. It took me a long time to decide on same color...you just never know until it's complete how it will look.

      Delete
  18. This looks so amazing! I love it! I am new from southern charm! I would love for you to check out my blog and hopefully follow me back. Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my goodness. That's a writer's dream room! You need to submit that to a few magazines for further publication. I think it's just awesome-amazing (which is even better than regular amazing). I am so glad I "found" you, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dawn. It's fun to share the wordiness with a writer...you understand how those words roll around our lives : )

      Delete
  20. I've got to send this link to my writer's group.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gail this is realy great :-) Love it, love it. Thanks for letting us be a part of it :-) some great ideeas here that I will use. God bless you soooooooo much :-) Doini

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Doini. What a treat to have you visit...Wish we could sit down over a cup of coffee and catch up. Bless you, friend : )

      Delete
  22. Looks great! You did a super job! Thanks for sharing this with us at One Sharendipity Pl. I'll be by later to pin it!!

    sue@ thet2women.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just popping back over to say that the new "Making Your Home Sing Monday" linky party is live and ready for your posts!

      Delete
  23. This room looks so great! I love the letter wall and your blue dresser - that color blue looks amazing. Thanks for linking up at Romance on a dime!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am loving this A LOT! Love words too - to read, to write...they're so wonderful. I will be featuring your post in this week's Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! What an honor to be featured on your blog.

      Delete
  25. My first post on your blog and really it is just to say thanks for your Nice Post And Shairing
    You always pick such interesting i visit your blog regularly for updates!
    Loved your description of it.
    Thank you for picking this one.
    http://mp4mobilevidios.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...