Tuesday

A Grass-Stained Sock

Denominations, Calvinism, Arminianism, church splits
Drinking green tea is like sucking on a damp, grass-stained sock.

I apologize to all you green tea lovers, but I recently drank green tea for a cleansing diet, and I don’t care for it at all.

Tastes certainly vary: some people's taste buds pop with joy when they eat Limburger cheese while others can’t even stand the smell. 

Some Peruvians savor roasted guinea pig (my husband has eaten it out of courtesy). Mexicans relish tripe, the rubbery stomach lining of a cow. Japanese eat tuna eyes, and Cambodians enjoy fried tarantulas

It's obvious that God's children enjoy a variety of tastes, and so does God.  So why do Christians often have trouble enjoying that variety within the Body of Christ?

Why do we fight over doctrines long disputed by genuine Bible-believers? Why do we care more about our differences than our family ties?

Today, let's ask God to give us more grace for those with slightly different non-essential beliefs...more grace than I give green tea.

P.S. I've never actually sucked a grass-stained sock...but this is how I imagine it would taste. : )

Source:  10 Weird Foods
Non-essentials are things like Calvinism vs. Arminianism, end-times theories, Millennium views, how the gifts of the Spirit operate, etc.  Essential beliefs are non-negotiable--things like the Godhood of Christ; the reliability of the Bible in defining the full Gospel; the fact that our sins are forgiven by Grace through faith, not by works; etc.



For another devotion I wrote about this subject involving my "seminary buddy," read: Productive Stables

12 comments:

  1. Good post, Gail! I believe that the root cause of why some Christians are fearful of "variety" is because they have a hard time feeling justified in their own beliefs and the way they live and look. When everyone "looks" (and "tastes") the same, that "look" then becomes the basis on which to judge other Christian's righteousness. Comparisons among themselves become more important than comparing themselves to Christ and measuring up to His standards. The liberty for variety and pursuing personal convictions should lead us to rely on Christ and His approval and acceptance alone.
    Thanks again for speaking the truth boldly! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brenda. I appreciate your comments and insights.

      Delete
  2. Gail this is so true. My husband who is from the islands loves Tripe, yet I don't care for it all. I love cow's tongue and cow brain fritters and he does not. God has made us all with individual tastes, therefore we need to be more accepting of one another....accepting that is within the Word of God.

    God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My granddad used to eat cow brains and eggs, and I was fine with it until I found out what it was. I know half of the things I don't like are "in my head."

      Delete
  3. Gail, I love ya' but I almost skipped this one! I had no idea what your subject matter was, but "suckin on a sock" just sounded disgusting! Thanks for always having something important and thought provoking - even if the title turns me off!! Knowing you as I do made me read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Carol : )
      I didn't mean to offend you.
      Glad you could look past your "distaste" for my title : )

      Delete
  4. Some Hungarians also like tripe, the rubbery stomach lining of a cow or a lamb. As for me, I don't care for it all. Well, there are certain reasons for being careful, especially when we are in the same ministry. The Scripture teach us to test spirits, too. It's not about difference of tastes, but the same Christ. Otherwise there is the command of love!
    Love, Magdi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Magdi, for sharing that about Hungarian foods. I didn't realize that. From our years in Budapest, I never thought any Hungarian foods were too strange, although I don't love the poppy seed paste in pastries : )

      Delete
  5. I love this!
    And I agree about green tea... I wish that I could like the flavor, but it reminds me faintly of the scent of freshly caught fish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't like green tea either, but there are some teas that I like. We should 'hung up' on what the Bible says instead of disagreements on issues that often are not even found in the Bible. I always love how you give an interesting example and then use it to bring out a valuable spiritual lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good points made. So often, sometimes even withn smaller divisions of the same denomination, we are separated by our different interprtations and opinions about doctrine and Scripture. We need to focus on what binds us together rather than what divides us, so that as Jesus said we can be one. How do we set examples of Chrisitanity to non-Christians if we are always nitpicking and fighting among ourselves?

    ReplyDelete
  8. So funny! I love green tea :) Great message Gail, always short and sweet!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...