Politically Correct

“Billy Graham’s Evangelical Group Removes Mormonism from Cult List.”
Inaccurate headline from 10/18/2012 CBS Charlotte/AP article

Last month BGEG removed an article identifying Mormonism as a cult from their website, and news agencies misunderstood.

A BGEG spokesman said they still consider Mormonism a cult but they wanted to avoid their belief being “politicized" during the campaign.

I have great respect for BGEG, but I believe they made a mistake by downplaying God's Truth during the campaign. We should be loving and fair to those of other faiths, but not at the expense of accurately presenting God's truths.

We are here on earth for one purpose: to know Christ and make Him known.

The distorted "Jesus" of Mormonism is misleading millions of lost souls (John 10:10).

Let's never be ashamed to warn people of this truth and tell them that the Jesus of the Bible wants to give them Life!*

* “Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.” Galatians 1:10, NIV
 2 Peter 2:1-3  is God's attitude toward those like Joseph Smith who introduce false beliefs under the guise of Christianity and mislead countless souls.
 Source: Billy Graham and the Cult Fiasco

If you wish to leave a comment, be sure to address the message of this post (i.e. downplaying God's truth). This post is not about who should have been elected President. Nor am I talking against BGEG in general. I have great respect for many aspects of Graham's ministry and feel they seek to make Christ known. That's why this departure was a disappointment. I purposely mentioned BGEG by name to clarify that they still consider Mormonism a cult despite the misunderstanding their actions created.



For more in-depth look at this, read this 1-Minute explanation: "Is Mormonism a Cult?"
 

9 comments:

  1. It is a shame they did that. God's Word never changes and we should never alter how we treat it based on circumstances like this.

    ahumblebumble.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And my concern is that it mislead people who haven't studied the doctrines of Mormonism enough to know they are very different from Christian beliefs. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Gail, we should never downplay God's Word, but it's all around us today. I'm not politically-minded, but I do believe we need to let our voice be heard when it comes to God's Word. You did. Praise God for that! Can't argue with Scripture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gail, I am so pleased that you're not afraid to face the difficult issues. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand what you are saying and I am not a Mormon. However, I know several people who have a fierce contempt for Mormons and it saddens me. I think that most Christians don't have all of their theology straight and most Mormons don't have all of their Mormonism straight either. I am by no means a biblical scholar, but I do know that we should show them the same courtesy that we want them to show us. We should welcome them into our homes as friends and show them why we call ourselves Christians. In a world that has a growing hate for Christianity, is Mormonism a pressing issue? I appreciate your honesty and willingness to post the truth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree that we should be kind to Mormons (and to everyone). My concern is that many Christians do not realize that Mormons believe all Bible-believing Christians are following a corrupted Gospel. My prayer is that my posts on Mormonism will inform Christians so they can pray for and witness to their Mormon friends. Is it a pressing issue? I'm not sure how to answer that. It's not the ONLY pressing issue, but it's an important one, and I feel like the Lord wants us to reveal error whenever and wherever we encounter it.
      But I appreciate your exhortation that we should be kind and loving to those of other faiths.

      Delete
  5. Gail, thanks for setting the record straight, being brave enough to confront error, and doing it all in a respectful, winsome way. I want to be just like you when I grow up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lori. I received a personal email from a former Mormon who read this post, and she thanked me for sharing on this subject. She has a heart for her family who are still Mormons, and I have a heart for them as well.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...