Sending My Peas to China

“Eat your vegetables. Children are starving in China.” 

My mother never said this when I was growing up, but some of my friends’ mothers did. As a kid, I wanted to send my peas to China…I don’t like peas. 

Yesterday I visited an all-you-can eat buffet and didn’t eat a single pea. But I ate "all I can eat"* while children are starving some places in the world. 

Isaiah says, “if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday” (Isaiah 58:10,NIV).

And Jesus says we aren’t simply loving others when we help them, we’re loving Him (Matthew 25:35-40). How motivating! 

I'm mature enough to know I can't send my peas to China, but am I doing all I can? Today I'm asking God to show me practical ways to love Him by loving the needy. Will you join me? 
*and more than I should have! 

Bible Love Notes was featured yesterday on Rubies Like Ruth, a very neat blog written by a young woman to help girls become virtuous women. If you know any girls or young women who might enjoy Rubies Like Ruth, why not tell them about it?


Sign up below to have 1-Minute Bible Love Notes delivered to your email box:
For free email delivery enter your email address:


5 comments:

  1. Hope this is a fit!!! Something new God's leading me to!
    I'll be back at naptime to read and comment on others!! :)Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jesus spent Himself for the poor and hungry and calls us to the same. Convicting and encouraging post to pause and consider what more can we do in His name. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a timely reminder when I'm having a pity party of my own... I needed that. It would do me good to put my mind on other's needs and see what I can do to help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gail - I love how you make me think... Now I need to find out what God wants me to do, more than I do, because in reality I don't do much for the needy at all. OUch!
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband was raised on Argo peas out of a can. They look (and taste!) like baby food. I like my peas bright green and a bit crisp.

    I love the Isaiah verse. Sheltering others is Biblical!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...