Dubrovnik Doors

When we visit European cities, I'm always fascinated by doors, windows, shutters and entries, and I love snapping photos of them. 



Dubrovnik, Croatia is one of my favorite cities in the world, blessed with beauty and history. What stories the doors of Dubrovnik could tell us. 


I hope you'll enjoy this little tour of doors and windows


All photos are property of BibleLoveNotes.com and cannot be downloaded or used without written permission. Thanks! 



Different Eras of history collide in this ancient door base, antique red door and electronic door bell.





Notice the bird perched atop this ancient shuttered window.



A building still in use that has weathered many a storm.


The path in front of it is cobbled with ancient stones.


“Our senses are indeed our doors and windows on this world, in a very real sense the key to the unlocking of meaning and the wellspring of creativity.”
Jean Houston




"Open for me the gates where the righteous enter,
and I will go in and thank the LORD."
Psalm 118:19 (NLT)


"This shutter worn by wind and heat, by storm, by sun and rain
While hands that once unlatched it were weathered by joy and pain." GBP





Don't you love the contented Saint Bernard asleep by the door?





"An offended friend is harder to win back than a fortified city."

 
"Arguments separate friends like a gate locked with bars." 
Proverbs 18:19 (NLT)


“Look! I stand at the door and knock. If you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal together as friends.  Jesus (Revelation 3:20, NLT)

  
  


  





"Remember him before the door to life’s opportunities is closed and the sound of work fades…" Ecclesiastes 12:4 (NLT)





"Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened."
Matthew 7:7,8 (NLT)



Ancient steps and satellite dishes

 
"If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must master it.” Genesis 4:7 (NIV)

"A smile is a window on your face to show that your heart is at home."


If you'd like to read more about Croatia, you can check out my blog HE MADE CROATIA which I add to each time we visit.


"But when you pray, go away by yourself, shut the door behind you, and pray to your Father in private. Then your Father, who sees everything, will reward you."  
Jesus, (Matthew 6:6, NLT)


"There's dollies in my window. 
In fact there's quite a few. 
They call to every passer-by,
and make fun of their shoes." GBP


"When I came to the city of Troas to preach the Good News of Christ, the Lord opened a door of opportunity for me."
The Apostle Paul (2 Corinthians 2:12, NLT) 





The buildings in the heart of Old Town Dubrovnik all have this unique arch window/door. It's perfect for little shops today and I imagine it was wonderful for the shops when these doors were first built hundreds of years ago.


"Modern and ancient meet everywhere in Dubrovnik. 
And when they do, they nod politely to each other." GBP





Many of the restaurants in Dubrovnik have outdoor seating along the narrow streets of the old city.



I'm so grateful for the doors God has opened and the doors God has closed in my life. He always knows what He's doing even when I don't!
  


 

Lift up your heads, O you gates;
be lifted up, you ancient doors,
that the King of glory may come in.
Psalm 24:7 (NIV)

"Yes, I am the gate. Those who come in through me will be saved. They will come and go freely and will find good pastures."
Jesus (John 10:9,NLT)  

Below is a view of the old city of Dubrovnik. If you'd like to see another view of Dubrovnik and read a 1-Minute devotion I wrote about this view,read So Much More. You might also like Awesome Fear, a 1-Minute devotion with photos of another seaside city in Croatia.
A view of the old city of Dubrovnik.
Thanks for taking some time to look at my collection of Dubrovnik doors. I'm not sure if this is something that appeals to folks, so leave me a comment if you'd like me to share some of my other photo collections of doors/windows/shutters from other cities. 

While you're here, look around my blog. I feature 1-Minute devotions each weekday on my homepage, and you can sign up for a free subscription on my right top sidebar and I'd love for you to do that! 

May the doors you walk through this week be full of meaning, purpose and divine appointments. 


16 comments:

  1. I think the doors are fantastic and how you found quotes that fit them so well is lovely! Thanks for sharing them, I think they're quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa, so glad you enjoyed them. Gail

      Delete
  2. Stunning doors! I am so glad someone else loves to photograph them- my kids make such fun of me taking photos of doors on vacation (esepcially the UK). I have never been to Dubrovnik, but I want to now! Thanks for sharing your trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always fun to meet another "door-lover" Carolyn : ) Thanks!

      Delete
  3. I found my way over here, from I'm not sure which site :))
    I love the doors, the history, the reminder that as long as we've been here trying to create a home, God has been preparing our forever home. I'm sure He takes notes of what we like and what does not appeal to our senses and takes that into account as He prepares a place for us. Thanks for the beautiful insight!
    Nancy
    http://wordsfromthehomefront.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, you have inspired me with your pictures of doors!! I loved, loved, loved this post of doors and the scriptures that went along with them. I got a kick out of the ancient building with satelite dishes!!! That reminded me of the Chinese refugee shacks along the mountains with TV antennas sticking off their make-shift roofs!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love old doors and such as well! We have some neat ones in our home that resemble some of what you pictured. They all speak of rich history. Thank you for sharing them...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love finding the beauty in common things. Your pictures are beautiful. Thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, yes, show us more of your beautiful photographs. Love to see the places I'll likely never visit, and these are exactly the kind of photos I'd enjoy taking if I were there. I hope you'll share more.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great concept - which I am going to adopt when I travel. thanks for sharing it.

    I found this through the Create and Inspire linky party. I linked in a pork and apple curry.
    Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your photographic study of doors and windows is intriguing and the verses are so appropriate. I often take pictures of doors and windows too...I find them fascinating. Your are so lovely, I should take lessons from you. Thank you for sharing your creativity at Potpourri Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the kind, comments, Honey. They mean a lot coming from someone with such a wonderful blog and great decorating ideas.

      Delete
  10. You are featured today at Potpourri Friday at 2805! Thanks for being a great contributor!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your doors are wonderful! Looks like a fantastic place to visit! Laura

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVED this collection of doors and windows and would love to see others! Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...