Dustless Treasures

Antique shops...I love them...especially the ones where the antiques are cluttered, un-arranged, packed full. 

Walking through an antique shop always brings questions to my mind.

Who owned this treasure? 

What was their life like?

Are they safe at home with Jesus now enjoying true treasure?


When I found this single-room shop in a small town in Hungary, I was fascinated by the things it contained

...overpriced broken boxes and bottles from junk piles sharing dust with European treasures and rare finds.

Each item had a story of history or mystery or ordinary life.

On some items the owner had placed great value, overpriced from my point of view. 

How often we do this with our earthly treasures, forgetting where our true treasure lies.

What would the people in the old photos on the wall say if they could speak?

Would they warn us where to put our treasure?

Would they speak with regret or joy?

This little shop made me ponder treasures and made me ask where my treasure is.


Where is my treasure? 

Where is yours?

“For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also”
Matthew 6:21, NIV


I found this little shop in a small town in Hungary when my husband and I were working with an English Club ministry in 2012.



If you'd like to have Bible Love Notes 1-Minute devotions delivered to your email box for free, sign up below:

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner



18 comments:

  1. Great post Gail- looks like an interesting shop as well. Blessings to you!

    ~Nicole, Working Kansas Homemaker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post...nice that you can travel and minister too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judith. Yes, I feel very blessed.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing the rest of the pictures - I love seeing dusty places! Our local "antiques" store is way over priced also, I'm pretty sure she doesn't really want to sell her things! That's ok - I'll visit them at her store instead of dusting them in my house! I enjoy your 1 minute love notes each day - thank you!
    Teresa
    www.teresajaye.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Teresa,
      Yes, I'm with you...it's fun to look even when we don't buy anything. Oftentimes I fall in love with an old piece of furniture that I'd never actually want in my house, but it's fun to think about it's history. Thanks so much for the kind comments about Bible Love Notes too. That's always an encouragement to me.

      Delete
  4. Gail..something that came to my mind with this treasure message is this. Do WE try to hang on to our treasure...Jesus Christ and the good news of the gospel..all for ourselves...when we need to share this treasure that is FREE.(You posed the question that maybe she priced her treasures too high so she could keep them for herself.) I love reading and being challenged with the messages to go inward and apply them to..ME <3 Thank you for sharing your time and talent for God and His message to go forth<3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great insight, Charlotte...one I didn't purposely put into the devotion. But God is so good to speak truth to each of us. Thanks for sharing these thoughts. And thanks for your encouragement for me as well!

      Delete
  5. Dear Gail,

    I can't figure out where that shop could be. Maybe in Kossuth street? I'm going to find it tomorrow. How is yor trip in Croatia?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to know who wrote this comment...you must be one of my Tapolca friends.
      This little shop was right across from the LaPergola Etterem. Isn't it interesting? Really made me think about treasures and wonder what this little "Antique lady" was thinking.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. I'm sorry , I forgot to sign. I'm your friend from Tapolca. Isn't it interesting that you can live in a place for many years and you just run past a lot of nice or remarkable objects without even noticing them? I would like to be able to look around.
      Magdi

      Delete
    4. Magdi, I'm so glad you commented. I would love to know what you think when you visit this interesting little shop.

      Delete
  6. Interesting post and I have visited shops right here in the USA just like that. Olive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Olive, and I actually love the dusty, cluttered little shops more than the neat arranged ones : )

      Delete
  7. great eye-opener! thru these pricey antiques, we can really see that they are of no value at all if our hearts are connected with the treasures above.
    enjoying every thing you are sharing Gail!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I'm guilty of putting too much of my heart into treasures here, but I want to be better! Thanks for your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such good photos - and such good thoughts. Thanks for sharing this, Gail.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...