God Rules!

God's commands are good for us, God's commands are loving
Rules!

We overlook them, sidestep them, ignore them, and rebel against them.

As an editor of one blog and writer of another, grammar rules are a constant part of my life. 

When I get a submission from a writer who ignores the rules, it takes extra time and effort to edit.

Sometimes I read my own Bible Love Note after it’s posted, and I cringe to see a grammar error I missed.

The author of Stylized (a book about grammar rules) surveyed well-known writers and found they believed “…creativity is empowered, rather than hampered, by working from a sensible set of rules.” (1)

Spirituality is like that too.

Our God-given gifts and opportunities are creatively empowered when we follow God’s rules, commands and guidelines.

“Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.” Ephesians 5:15,16
(1) Mark Garvey, Stylized, Simon and Shuster, New York, 2009, p. 46.

If you'd like Bible Love Notes one-minute devotions delivered to your email box each weekday, sign up for a free subscription below. Be sure to validate the Feedburner email sent to your inbox when you subscribe.
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

8 comments:

  1. Gail, This is true, but may our Spiritual life and creativity not be hampered by rules we hold on to so tightly. Let it flow in truth and Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! Thank yoy for writing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Sometimes when I write (especially dialogue) I throw out the rules and go for it. I never thought of it applying to God before, though. Great message :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen, and amen. Rules rock and keep us rolling smoothly through life. We all have times where we would like to bypass them, but they are the antidote to chaos. It's also not always easy to make the most of every opportunity, but having this reminder through God's word to do so may at least help me aim in the right direction today. Thanks!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great analogy! I've never thought of it quite like that. I agree with Nona above, also, to a point. But usually if I'm being hampered by a rule, it's one that I have made up for myself or for someone else, not something that originated with God.

    Just stopping by from Pieces of Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am writing more now and trying to remember all the grammar rules... my dad commented on my blog post today to correct my grammar! :)
    I am thankful for the freedom of living in God's rules!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen, Gail! I LOVE this post and my what a cute picture you chose to boot :)
    "Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep His commandments: for this is the whole duty of man." ~ (Ecclesiastes 12:13)
    “If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.” ~ Jesus the Christ (John 14:15)
    "He who has My commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves Me; and he who loves Me shall be loved by My Father, and I will love him, and will disclose Myself to him." ~ (John 14:21)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Star, for your kind words and for sharing His Words that are complimentary to this message.
      Gail : )

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...