Living In A Small Box...

Communism, Hungary, Salvation, Jesus set her free
A dog raised in a small box doesn’t know what it’s like to run free and enjoy fresh air and sunshine. He is quite content until he learns life is more than a box.

That’s how my Hungarian friend Judit described growing up under Communism. 

Judit’s Russian teachers insisted she recite this phrase: “Lenin always lived; Lenin lives; and Lenin will live forever.” Communism tries to keep people in boxes by creating false gods.

But Judit listened to Radio Free Europe and discovered life beyond her Communist box. When Communism fell, Judit also discovered Christ.

Communism failed. Lenin is dead. 

Judit with her daughter and me in a Budapest McDonalds
But God’s Word never fails.
And Christ is the only One who has always lived, Who lives now, and Who will live forever.

Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away. Matthew 24:35
For this I am thankful!
copyright Gail Burton Purath, 2012
 
Sign up below for free email delivery of Bible Love Notes 1-Minute Devotions


Enter your email address

10 comments:

  1. My husband's family is Hungarian, although he was born in Ontario, Canada he didn't speak english until he was in kindergarten. Several years ago our family had the awesome experience of visiting Budapest, Hungary for a month. It was amazing. We were there over Christmas and went to the Christmas markets outside. I love it there! Feels like home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sharon,
    Although I have no Hungarian heritage in my background, I feel part Hungarian. My husband and I lived and did ministry in Budapest for 4 1/2 years and we return to Budapest every year. I love the Hungarian people and culture! And I know what you mean about the Christmas markets...they are wonderful. Hungarian is a difficult language to learn...can your husband still speak it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate all your Bible Love Notes, Gail, and look forward to them "showing up" in my inbox. This one strikes a special chord with me since God has launched me on my Romanian Adventure! Thank you, as always, for sharing such powerful and profound truths.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is also how many orphans feel too until God brings them a family! My daughter literally, spent most of her life in ONE room!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your opening quote truly caught my eye. It made me think about all the people who probably feel "trapped" without the freedom of Christ in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Gail, what a touching story. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that Christ knows no boundaries and reaches out to all peoples.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When we prepared to move to Tulsa Ok, we needed to sell our reel to reel recording equipment. The gentleman from the Christian radio network that was broadcasting to Europe answered our ad and made his purchase. God knew the need and we needed a smaller duplicator for our next project.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely reminder of the freedom and security we have in Christ.

    Mary Beth
    newlifesteward.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is GREAT! We can only imagine what life without freedom is like...I never hope to experience it. Thanks for sharing! Hopping from Pieces of Amy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...