Can We Afford it?

Philippians 4:12,13, contentment, shoplifting
"There are approximately 27 million shoplifters (or 1 in 11 people) in our nation today."(1) 

Unlike Jean Valjean in Les Misérables who stole a loaf of bread to feed his sister’s starving family, the majority steal things they don't need. In fact, some steal for the thrill of it and it's not just kids - 75% of shoplifters are adults.

We live in a culture of discontent, and it's easy to take on an attitude of entitlement. While 10 out of 11 don't shoplift, that doesn't mean they don't overspend or complain about how little they have.

That's why it's good to examine our hearts from time to time and ask God to make us grateful and contented. And it's a good reason to memorize Philippians 4:12,13.
(1) NASP
copyright Gail Burton Purath, 2011  


Subscribe to Bible Love Notes 1-Minute Devotions in the box below.It's free and easy.
For free email delivery of Bible Love Note

Enter your email address

8 comments:

  1. I heard this list on air1 this morning! I was astounded at the dollar figure companies are allotting to theft and loss. I had a mental "what if" image involving that same dollar figure being pour into a homeless shelter, domestic abuse shelter, or addiction treatment canter.

    What would that figure do in providing relief to other missions programs... Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gail you are so right, we need to be content with what we have.

    Interesting about shoplifters. I knew someone who was once in security at a shopping mall in Dallas (very ritzy part of town.) There was a woman who was a kleptomaniac and her husband had agreements with the shop owners to bill him for whatever she took. Sad - she could have afforded most anything. I don't think her husband was helping her by doing what he did, but I guess he just wanted to keep her out of jail.

    Thanks for stopping by Reflections of His Grace today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1 in 11 -- wow! I agree: we need to be content with what we have.

    Thank you for stopping by today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gail - wow, what interesting facts! My mother-in-law reckons her 'gift' is the gift of contentment. I think if we were content we'd have a lot more peace in our lives. So glad I found you over at 5 minute friday, have followed and looking forward to your next post.
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post. Today I'm pondering this. Contentment. Convicting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting information. This cut me to the core. This is what happens when a culture puts too much emphasis on things. Unfortunately we begin to measure our worth by stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting. AND I LOVE the mantle: simple, international! Love it

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello,

    I found your blog on Raising Homemakers; I posted a link, too.

    One of my favorite verses is:Hebrews 13:5

    Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

    ~Hope

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...