Wednesday

Why Does He Love Us?

God's love, we don't deserve God's love
“I don’t need to struggle for His love,” the young woman said, tears streaming down her face.

I’d just shared the story of God’s incredible love from Genesis to Revelation with a group of Hungarian women. And this woman wept because she realized, for the first time, how faithfully God has loved mankind despite our rebellion and wickedness throughout human history.

Another woman, with wonder and gratefulness in her eyes, asked me gently and reverently, “Why does He love us?”

I answered honestly, “I don’t know.”
There's no human explanation.
God’s love is ‘unreasonable’— unexplainable!
He doesn’t love us because we are deserving.
He loves us even though we aren’t.

God “does not treat us as our sins deserve” but loves us “while we [are] still sinners” (Psalm 103:10; Romans 5:8).

These women put me to shame as I saw the love of God afresh through their eyes and asked myself why I am not daily overcome with such joy and wonder.
 © copyright Gail Burton Purath, 2011
image: William Hole, Bible Picture Gallery

Sign up below to have 1-Minute Bible Love Notes delivered to your email box. Be sure to validate the Feedburner email sent to your inbox when you subscribe.
For free email delivery enter your email address:


FeedBurner

4 comments:

  1. Gail, I am reading an incredible book and your post today is echoed in it on many, many pages. The book is "We Wait You" (no typo, that's the title :) by Taryn Hutchison. The subtitle is "Waiting on God in Eastern Europe." I'll pass it on to you after I'm done and Janna finishes :)
    Thanks for another great Bible Love Note, Gail!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just beautiful! I love the concept of your blog! a 1 minute devo is perfect for so many women! I'm so glad I met you through the blog party :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gail...I am Jenilee's friend and I am hopping around the list. I loved your short devotion! One Minute is a great idea!

    Yes, He loves us even though we are all undeserving! Sort of like how we love our kids even when they are not so lovable! (:>) Of course my 3 girls are grown up with kids of their own now. And we have had 14 grandkids. 3 of them are living in heaven with Jesus, and I praise God that He has gotten our family through the hard times with His great comfort and love!

    Pleas come over to my blog for a visit!

    He is Good!

    Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true, a thoughtful post .... nice to find your blog :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...