Sticks and Stones

words, Bible, God-breathed
Whoever said “sticks and stones can break your bones, but words can never hurt you” was wrong.

Words can leave scars deeper than knife wounds.
They can also bring euphoric joy.

Words can be deceptive or honest…overlooked or emphasized…obvious or between-the-lines…exclaimed or whispered…screamed or prayed.

As a writer, I love words.
I hear them in my head, squeeze and stretch them, massage and poke them, rearrange and edit them.
But some words are in a category of their own--those that are God-breathed:

“All Scripture is inspired by God [the NIV says “God-breathed”] and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It straightens us out and teaches us to do what is right. It is God’s way of preparing us in every way, fully equipped for every good thing God wants us to do.” 2 Timothy 3:16-17 (NLT)

Let's thank God today for His wonderful words/Word!
© copyright Gail Burton Purath, 2011 
Have my 1-Minute Devotions sent to your email box each weekday. It's free


Enter your email address

9 comments:

  1. Gail, you have hit the bull's eye once again! Your Bible Love Notes continue to bless me, challenge me, stretch me, remind me, and motivate me. Thank you for using YOUR words so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless you, Kim, for your encouragement. Gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right in synch with one of my favorite memory verses this week, Gail. Grazie!

    "A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver." Proverbs 25:11

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so true! I have long disliked the "sticks and stones" saying because I have known so many people who ached for years over the cruel words thrown their way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Following you from a blog hop!:0)
    Hope you visit me and return the follow!

    Btw if you like please join the Treasure
    Trove Tribune! I think you will enjoy
    it!:0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true. Words can either bring life or death. Thank you for linking up, friend. I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes! We can cause deep pain with our words or we can shelter others with words loaned to us from the heart of God. I choose to shelter. I've also found that when words are spoken sharply, a quick apology is the best response.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that, Pamela...genuine sorrow is always a good remedy for sin.

      Delete
  8. I agree Gail! Words can break a person down or build them up... "death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its
    fruits." Proverbs 18:21

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...