"Logic" versus Extravagance

Mary's extravagant love for Jesus, costly perfume
People will oppose extravagant love toward God! 

In John 12:1-8, Mary used a bottle of fine perfume (worth a year’s wages) to anoint Christ’s feet. She was being obedient to the Spirit and was motivated by a deep love for Christ (12:7,8). 

Judas immediately opposed her with a "logical argument"—the money could have helped the poor (12:5). 

Satan can’t stand extravagant love for Christ, and his arguments may sound wise and godly. But they aren't.

When God prompts us to help a friend extravagantly, share our faith extravagantly, give time, money, or love extravagantly, it rarely sounds "logical." Our “Judas” may be a well-meaning friend or the “voice of reason” in our own head.

Somehow, Mary overcame doubts, fears, and "logic" and loved Christ extravagantly. May we follow her example! 
copyright Gail Burton Purath, 2011

 Other one-minute devotions in the Mary and Martha series:
 
Have my 1-Minute Devotions sent to your email box each weekday. It's free


Enter your email address

1 comment:

  1. Gail,
    When God saved me, I was a very selfish person. Over the years he's grown me from a minimalistic giver to a joyful one. Sometimes I surprise myself with my extravagance, and I recognize that it is only his transforming power that has brought that about in my life. Oh, may I grow more and more like Mary as she modeled the extravagant love of our Savior! Thank you for reminding me that "He who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it."

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...