Tuesday

See Them For What They Are

tiny bugs kill massive tree, worry is exaggerated, worry is a small view of God
A massive tree thrived 400 years under severe conditions on Colorado’s Long’s Peak…until a swarm of tiny beetles destroyed it.*

These beetles are a good illustration of worry except worry’s 'tiny beetles' are imagined, not real. Worry usually has a basis in fact—difficulties in finances, relationships, health, etc. But bad circumstances don’t destroy us—fear and unbelief destroy us.

And Worry is UNBELIEF—the false belief that God is not enough, that we can’t have peace or joy, that we can’t live under our present conditions. 

Mine is the voice of experience because I'm often a worrier, an “unbeliever in times of trouble.”
Matthew 6:25 says "do not worry."

Worry is based on a small view of God and an exaggerated view of our problems. 

If you are worrying about something today, ask God to help you see the “tiny beetles” for what they are and His great power for what it is.
© copyright Gail Burton Purath, 2011
*Marvin Walker

 You can subscribe to Bible Love Notes below--Be sure to VALIDATE the Feedburner email sent to your inbox.
For free email delivery of Bible Love Notes

Enter your email address

13 comments:

  1. Another excellent post!

    P.S. I love your 'mug'!

    P.S.S. I have moved blogs! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gail! What a novel comparison! I don't think I've ever heard of worry compared to tree beetles, but it sure fits. Worry does get to me sometimes, no doubt. And it's never constructive, like the beetles, it's destructive!

    Great image for me today :)

    Happy Wednesday!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting this. Sometimes God leads us to what we need and I needed this today. I've been so worried about what I should do about my mom. She is 94 and despite declining health she is determined to stay in her home. I just started looking at pinterest and blogs about a month ago when I was so worried about this that some days I could barely function.When I clicked on a new link this morning and as I scanned the pictures your link jumped out at me. Thank you for your words and the wisdom you shared through God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so blessed to hear that this devotion spoke to your heart today. Thank you for encouraging me by taking the time to leave a comment. I pray God will give you peace as you navigate this difficult area of your life.
      Bless you.
      Gail

      Delete
  4. I used to be a really bad worrier and then I gave it to God (it was too exhausting to keep all to myself). What relief it was to finally put my faith in those words! Thanks for sharing as this topic is a big one for us ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a good example of worry, Gail. The picture of tree sure illustrates it well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Honestly, the only things I worry about are that His will is to take me before my children are grown, and that I don't pray or love Him and serve Him enough. Are those bad kinds of worry too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristina,
      I totally understand what you are saying, and you are not alone in having those kind of worries. But any kind of worry stems from our fear that God doesn't know what He's doing or God won't do the best thing for us or our family. Please don't think I'm judging you--I have these kind of worries too. But I do think they are wrong. They waste our time and energy and erode our peace. ~ The second thing you mention may not be a worry if you mean that you have a longing to grow more in the Lord and serve Him more fully. What do you think?

      Delete
    2. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to let go of worries of my children being left motherless. My youngest child is only 14 months old and no one wanted (or wants) her but me. Not even my husband. And just because she was a girl instead of a boy. So ever since she was born I've had this overwhelming fear I'll die and she will either be abandoned or mistreated by the people "stuck" caring for her. I hear of all these stories of children being abandoned or abused in the world and know that God allows it, so then I worry even more.

      Delete
    3. I'm sorry, Kristina, about this situation. I will pray that your husband will change his heart toward your daughter. I can understand why you would have these fears, but I will pray God gives you an assurance that He will never leave you or forsake you and He will never leave your daughter either. I pray that your situation will change and I pray you will experience God's comfort and peace until that happens. Thanks for sharing your heart. I will pray for you.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...