Tuesday

Giving Up Our Agenda to Sit on the Floor

mary and martha, Luke 10, sitting at Jesus feet
“Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work myself? Tell her to help me!” Luke 10:40

My natural inclination is to sympathize with Martha in Luke 10:38-42. Who likes being stuck in the kitchen while your sister relaxes with guests? But Jesus rebuked Martha.

It was a sweet rebuke--The doubling of her name was a form of endearment (Luke 10:41). He wanted her company more than a fancy meal.

I hope Martha decided to serve pita sandwiches, took off her apron and plopped down next to Mary at Jesus' feet. We can do the same by:
  • welcoming "divine interruptions" in our day
  • simplifying and prioritizing our schedules (busyness is often a distraction of pride and immaturity)
  • seeking first the things of God and letting Him work out the rest (Matthew 6:33)
If God asks, will you give up your agenda today and sit on the floor?
© copyright Gail Burton Purath, 2011

If you haven’t read the story of Mary and Martha, it’s just 5 verses: Luke 10:38-42
 
Have my 1-Minute Devotions sent to your email box each weekday.
It's free


Enter your email address and be sure to validate the Feedburner email sent to you

4 comments:

  1. Since I'm "culinarily impaired," it's rare for me to be found in the kitchen....but I often wake up with so many things on my mind that I want to DO for the Lord that I forget to BE with Him. Thank you, Gail, for beautifully communicating how important it is to s i t with J e s u s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Kim, I identify. So many good things vie for my attention that I can sometimes overlook the best thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great reminder! This morning my husband and I were just talking about how our 'routines' can hold us captive...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gail...loved this today! Thank you for such encouragement to be more like Mary and intentionally sit at the feet of Jesus daily. I'm glad you shared this at WJIM this week.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...