So many of my problems begin in my thoughts…I think the worst about a situation or dwell on the negatives. I decide something is hopeless or meaningless and conclude I can’t be happy unless it changes.
There’s a two-step answer to my dilemma:
“… we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.” 2 Corinthians 10:5
1. Take my thoughts captive—make a conscious decision to quit thinking negatively.
2. Make my thoughts obedient to Christ—dwell on God’s Truth. For example:
- God can bring good out of every situation. (Romans 8:28)
- God will never, ever, ever leave me. (Hebrews 13:5)
- Peace comes by dwelling on good things. (Philippians 4:8)
- And no matter what else happens, I can rejoice in my salvation! (Philippians 3:8,9)
If you are struggling with negative thoughts, ask the Lord to help you implement His two-step solution.
© copyright Gail Burton Purath, 2011
Are you enjoying Bible Love Notes? Why not subscribe and recommend it to a friend? When you subscribe, be sure to validate the Feedburner email sent to your inbox.