Whose Heart Desires?

Psalm 37:4, Delight yourself in the Lord
I saw "Ps.37:4" on a Jaguar license plate.

"Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37:4

It’s nice that the Jaguar owner acknowledged all things in life are blessings from God, but owning a sports car isn't the point of this verse. Instead, it's about changed desires...

Two decades ago when my husband was in the Army, we received orders for an undesirable assignment in an undesirable location. We were disappointed, but as we talked and prayed about it, we began to see God’s hand in it. And we actually got excited! God had replaced our heart desires with His heart desires.

And that’s the promise in this verse—first we delight ourselves in the Lord, in His plans, His thoughts, and His purposes. Then we receive the desires of our heart...because our desires have become His desires.
© copyright Gail Burton Purath, 2011
 I'd love to have you sign up for a free subscription to Bible Love Notes. Be sure to validate the Feedburner email sent immediately to your email box when you subscribe.
Have my 1-Minute Devotions sent to your email box each weekday. It's free


Enter your email address

11 comments:

  1. L O V E your blog =) I wholeheartedly agree. It's so amazing how focusing our eyes on the Lover of our soul can completly change our perceptions.
    Awesome words.
    Blessings
    ~Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gail...Amen sweet friend. Thank you for the encouragement and for linking up at WJIM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the Bible note devotional. It is a good reminder on what really matters. I pray continually for the Lord to touch me and change me so He can shine through my life brighter and brighter each day. I'm visiting from Haven of Rest link up. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen! Prosperity teaching has hijacked this verse and the emphasis has become that of 'love of money' rather than 'love of God' sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm...will I get a Jaguar if because of this verse?! I hope not!! But as always you made such a good point. My MIL surrendered her life to be a missionary when she heard a missionary speak about an undesirable island in the Philippines. She surrendered but told the Lord, not there!! You know the rest of the story...Eventually, years later, that is where she ended up.

    BTW...I love the way you have your collection of links over at the side. It looks so nice!!

    Thank you for linking up at WholeHearted-Home Wednesdays over at Haven of Rest!!

    I have missed your linkup :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen! I have seen God give me desire for his desire time and again. And contentment for his plan. Thanks for these wonderful short devos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen to that! Thanks for sharing that good word.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the little bit of notes ...

    Delighted to meet you today. I hope you don't mind if I splash around a bit. This looks like a refreshing place to dip into some serious goodness.

    Also, I would love for you to share this post with other mommas. We have a little link up started. Momma's sharing our notes, creating a melody. We could use your fave recipes, fun mom moments, encouraging words, the goofy, anything mom. I would be honored to have you join us.

    http://justsarahdawn.blogspot.com/2013/05/momma-notes.html

    Splashin,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always thought the jaguar was a beautiful little car:) I love that the owner had that on his license plate:) - a friend has been coaching me on turning to praise when my heart struggles with heart issues - because He will see the desires of my heart - and he will take care of those heart issues:) I love the "vehicle" for your message - totally. totally. loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so true! Our deepest heart desires are to experience His love and joy and peace in any case. But as we learn to rest in Him, He changes our desires to reflect His will for us!
    Much love
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amen! We see our lives so narrowly, until God begins to show us from HIS viewpoint! Thanks for sharing this and for linking it up with me this week.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...