Sometimes I'm an Elephant!

Elephants have uncanny memories, Elephants holds grudges, People shouldn't hold grudges, Philippians 3:13-14
“Elephants never forget.”

According to Scientific American elephants have an uncanny ability to remember faces, smells, and situations, especially mistreatment. “Grudge-holding” helps them survive. 

Philippians 3:13,14 says: 
"Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."

"Forgetting" is an important part of moving toward God's goals in life.

Paul had things to forget--he'd cheered on the murder of Stephen (Acts 7:54-8:3) and been unjustly flogged and imprisoned (2 Corinthians 11:23-33). To fulfill God's purposes, he had to forget these things and move forward.

When it comes to the past, I can sometimes be an 'elephant,' but I'm learning to place injustice and regrets in God's hands. What about you?

Is something in your past tangled around your heart? Will you leave it in God’s hands today and face your future with new hope? Another reason to REJOICE!
© copyright Gail Burton Purath, 2011

For an absolutely incredible true story of a man who "forgot the past" read: An Innocent Man Imprisoned for Life

If you'd like Bible Love Notes one-minute devotions delivered to your email box each weekday, sign up for a free subscription below. And be sure to validate the Feedburner email sent to your inbox.
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

4 comments:

  1. Yep, I'm an elephant. I have a difficult time letting go of things that I should. Another good reminder to share in the GRAND Social. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I get the hint! I just came from Nan's blog and her post was about praying for difficult people and I admitted to her that I am angry with a difficult person in my life. I used to pray for them but in the last six months or so I've stopped praying for them and my anger has gotten noticeably hotter! I think God is trying to get my attention, Gail! Because I'm hearing this important message again at your place too. Funny how God does that! :) So I'm heeding the message and laying it down at Jesus' feet once again. Thanks for being a part of that encouragement, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad and my uncle are HUGE elephants (no pun intended). Recently, I offended my uncle by declining a barbecue at his house and instead just wanted to visit with him after the lunch. Such an innocent thing, but he took it to heart, as though I didn't like his food or something and is now barely speaking to me. Since this trait seems to run in my family I have the same tendency, so after asking God to help me with this years ago, I have become hyper-aware of it. I'm so much better about not holding grudges now, though I might still have one or two on my grudge list that caused me tremendous pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recently spoke with someone who had a long list of grudges starting 20 years ago, and it made them so unhappy and gave them such a warped perspective on their life. It was sad.
      And it gave me added incentive to keep from holding grudges myself.
      Gail

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...