Lousy Lovers

Philippians 1:9-11, Lousy Lovers, We need God to teach us how to love
Without God's help, we're lousy lovers, and I'm not just talking about romantic love. I'm talking about love for friends, children, parents, siblings, and God Himself.

In Philippians 1:9-11 Paul prays that the Philippians will gain knowledge and insight to live well and love well.

Genuine love isn't automatic--it means thinking of others first, working through problems even when things get messy, seeing things from the perspective of others, being committed and proactive.To have this type of love, we need knowledge and insight that only God can give.

Philippians repeatedly tells us to REJOICE--today let's rejoice that God wants to help us live and love well. And let's ask Him to help us with specific relationships that need improvement.
© copyright Gail Burton Purath, 2011
.


Ready for some tough truths about your adult relationship with your parents? Read "Adults and the Fifth." 




To start your subscription, you must validate the Feedburner email sent to you when you subscribe. 
Free email delivery of Bible Love Notes 1-Minute devotions- enter your email address below:


Your subscription will begin when you validate the Feedburner email sent to your email box. Thanks!

9 comments:

  1. So true Gail. Thank you for sharing this timely insight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true. Just this morning I was thinking that I need to do "how to lead your child to Christ" at MOPS. I know that I must say to the moms, "You cannot give what you do not possess - this gift is for you, too!" You have made the same point. Thank you for reminding us.
    Latisha
    confessionsofamartha.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're on the same wavelength today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for this 'Love Note'! Such a great, great reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES! I Love this take on it - got my attention. I am pretty bad at loving others... wish I was so much better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just prayed this morning that I would be able to love a particular person in my life that I struggle to love with God's love. I know I can't do it on my own. It truly is a work of God's grace and boy am I in need! :) Thanks for always being so concise and packing a powerful punch with every wise post, Gail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth,
      When I wrote this devotion (last year) I was struggling hard with a particular relationship, so I know the feeling.
      Thanks for your insightful comments. I always love having you stop by.
      Gail : )

      Delete
  7. Again, a theme seems to be forming at UNITE.(And I have only read four posts so far) The theme seems to be difficult children/family. Thanks for listening and leaning your words toward His heart, as always! UNITED in Him, Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how God turns our thoughts toward the same things at times. Thanks so much for your great link party and great blog

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...