Beatin' the Blues

Beat the Blues by focusing on others not yourself
How do you beat the blues? Some authorities tell us to work on improving our self-esteem by focusing on our needs.

While imprisoned and mistreated, Paul beat the blues by focusing on others, not himself.  He wrote to encourage the Philippians and remind them:

“Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.” (Philippians 2:1-4)

This is a good life principle and a good way to beat the blues.

Gretchen Rubin, author of The Happiness Project(1) agrees:
“One of the best ways to make yourself happy is to make other people happy; One of the best ways to make other people happy is to be happy yourself.”

When we get our minds off ourselves and focus on the needs of others...we are a joy to be around...which makes others more joyful...which makes us more joyful....Another Philippians reason to REJOICE!
© copyright Gail Burton Purath, 2011

(1) The Happiness Project is not a Christian book, but God's wisdom comes through in some of Rubin's discoveries. For a Christian review of the book see Hope is the Word.

If you'd like Bible Love Notes one-minute devotions delivered to your email box each weekday, sign up for a free subscription below. Be sure to validate the Feedburner email sent to your inbox when you subscribe.
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

8 comments:

  1. I love reading Philippians...thanks for the great lesson!

    joy & blessings,
    Alida

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I needed this little pick me up today. I've had a rough week. #SITSsharefest

      Delete
  2. I've always heard this but found it to be so very true after I was laid off from my job in 2008. A friend saw the depression settling in for me and invited me to volunteer with her for the local children's literacy center. I did...became a long-term volunteer...and eventually got a part-time job out of it. Helping those kiddos read helped me survive. Advice tried and true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our pastor says when ever some one comes to him for counseling and they are talking about how depressed lonely or sad they feel, and they have no purpose, he will ask them what they have done for someone else lately. He tells them to go bake some cookies and go to a nursing home then to come back afterwards and see if that made a difference. Thanks for linking with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Gail
    Even amidst the worst suffering and trials, we can always rejoice as we live in our Lord Jesus! He had promised us that nothing this world throws at us can ever separate us from His love!
    Much love x
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so right, Gail. It always works for me when I shift my focus from my own troubles to the troubles of others--ministering to them in their time of need. And I always love how you point out these simple but powerful truths with scripture to back them up here in this place. It's the perfect blend! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true but I needed to hear this. God sent me here. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing this. This is a good reminder for me and for all of us -- to be God-centered and people-centered than to be self-centered. #SITSsharefest

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...