Kitchen Island-Cart

I'm thankful for a creative God who gives us some of His creative gifts. and I'm thankful for the many colors God has put in our world: turquoise ocean waters, turquoise stones, turquoise flowers...
BEFORE
I bought these kitchen carts a couple of years ago at IKEA. They've been really useful in my kitchen as an island, but they are so boring!  I thought of making them a dark stain like my cabinets, but they are made with birch which doesn't stain evenly.  So we decided to paint them.

First my good-looking husband (can you believe he's 61?) painted the bottom half of the carts an antique beige like the wall color in our kitchen.


Next he sanded the tops which were slightly stained from use.



Finally, using a self-priming interior satin enamel, my husband painted the tops and I chose this bright turquoise.


After using them a few days, we realized they needed more protection, so we painted the tops with polyurethane. 

Now there's no way these turquoise carts would look good in my brown, beige, boring kitchen. But they are just the first of many changes I have planned for my Kitchen Redecoration. I'm not changing counters, cabinets and flooring, but I'll be adding some much needed color and life to my vanilla kitchen.  Take a look at my Custom Turquoise Tray and the final Kitchen Reveal.

Thanks for visiting my decor pages. I'd love to have you check out my Home Page that features one-minute devotions. Why not sign up for a free subscription and receive my devotions each weekday in your email?
Thanks!  Gail



9 comments:

  1. Love the turquoise color! I can't wait to see what else you will be doing with your kitchen. The island carts look great now!!

    Thanks for linking up to Romance on a Dime!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE what you did with this! :) I am going to be hunting for this at Ikea now! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so great! i love that you are using 2 of these, that's genius right off the bat, but then the way you and your hubby transformed them is so fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am enjoying reading your blog and seeing your ideas put into practice, but what I enjoy most is that speak so easily of God. It truly lifts my heart. God bless and keep you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roisin. Thanks for stopping by and encouraging me.

      Delete
  5. Hi Gail, I really like how you brightened up your carts. They add a nice crisp pop of color to your kitchen.
    I'm happy to be a new follower and hope you'll stop by.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the addition of the top and the color looks fantastic!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gail,
    I love the way you celebrate your husband as a gift. The carts are beautiful, as is your celebration of a Creative God. I stopped by on the Faith Filled Friday Blog Hop.
    Peace and good to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am also 61
    I like the colors you painted your island.

    Pamela
    OH

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...