Custom Design Party Table Covering


I had a group of writer friends for a one-day mini-retreat in my home, and I wanted the decor to be as wordy as wordy can be!

My dining room is in my entry area, so I decided to let it set the theme as soon as they entered. What I did was very inexpensive and relatively easy. And this idea would work for so many themes...especially children's parties where you could have your children do the designing.

Using brown wrapping paper, I cut a piece that ran the complete length of my table.

Then I thought of as many cliches and phrases where substituting right for write would be kind of a fun play on words or have a double meaning. For example: 
  • Read 'em their writes and book 'em
  • Two wrongs don't make a write
  • The Customer Editor is always write 
  • You took the words write out of my mouth
  • Are you sure that your head is screwed on write?
  • Two wrongs don't make a write.
  • Raise your write hand and repeat after me.
  • Write when you least expect it...etc.
I placed the boxes I planned to use for the centerpiece on the table so they wouldn't cover any of the text when completed.

Then I found this fun "paper cloth" at a fabric store...It has a market/price theme, but using it as the edging under my brown paper just highlighted the fact that it was words.

I didn't run it the full length of the table.



I made sure you could read some of the phrases from every seat at the table.

another view

I like how the pink paper flowers brought a hint of color and texture to the "news-print" look of the table. The oval box is covered with illustrations from a Hungarian Jules Vern book. The other boxes are covered with dictionary and hymnal pages.

Read the tutorial for these boxes: Vintage Boxes.  And read the tutorial for the Word Eggs that I also added to the centerpiece. Be sure to check out the rest of my Write Party Decor.


Thanks for stopping by. Please check out my home page where I feature 1-Minute devotions for busy people. I'd love to have you subscribe to these devotions...and it's free. Thanks, Gail


16 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Though I'm not usually with a group of writers, my head is full of situations where I could adapt this idea. Thanks so much for the mental nudge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are soooo creative!! I could see this as a part of a women's retreat/event. Each lady writing their prayer request... their favorite verse, a prayer, etc!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute idea! I love it!
    -Melanie

    P.S. I'm hosting a $50 Shabby Apple Giveaway on my blog, you should come check it out!
    http://meandmr.com/post/35113285949/shabby-apple-50-giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea - like LOVE! I am putting on a baby shower and a bridal shower in the next month and am definitely doing this!
    Newest follow via Show and Share Wednesdays, I'm excited to try more of your ideas!
    I'd love a follow back if you like moetalksalot.blogspot.com

    -xo
    Moe

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cool is that! I hope you kept it out for a few days...that is just too cute to only use once.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute! I need to incorporate this into my homeschooling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea!! You must have had a wonderful day!! You have a beautiful table and spinning wheel too. It just all goes together so nicely.

    Thanks for linking up at WholeHearted Home this week. What a blessing your posts always are!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How awesome is that? Very beautiful and creative! Thanks for sharing at Mom's Library Link-Up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks awesome! I'm glad you linked up at Romance on a dime!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Gail,
    This is such a cute table covering. I really like it. Thanks so much for sharing at last Wednesday's Adorned From Above Link Party. This weeks party is live. The link to the party is
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/11/wednesdays-adorned-from-above-link_14.html
    Can't wait to see you there.
    Have a great week.
    Debi @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete
  11. This would be great for a think tank session for any venue. Thanks for sharing the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very clever! I love to make things like this, great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent post….I wanted to invite you to share this at my linky party going on now. Add as many projects as you like. Hope to see you there…

    Christina at
    SWEET HAUTE
    http://sweethaute.blogspot.com/
    Thursday SWEET HAUTE Share Linky Party

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can see where others might want to add a few puns, too!

    Noreen
    Crafty Journal

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's cute and very original! I'm a fan of page-covered boxes but I've never seen page-covered eggs before.

    Thank you for linking up to the HomeAcre Hop; I hope you'll join us again this Thursday.
    ~Kathi at oakhillhomestead.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...